Help with Duramycin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaurasLorps, Jun 6, 2011.

1. LaurasLorps

LaurasLorps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Hi, I have a very small flock (1 seven week old and 3 two weekish olds). One of the younger ones has been sneezing and wheezing since I got her on Saturday. I quarantined her to see if if was respiratory or something else. Today I heard one of the other chicks sneezing, so I went and bought some Duramycin-10 powder as recommended on these boards for respiratory infections. I am planning on treating all four of my birds.

I have read the directions on the package and have some questions. The directions say mix 200-400 mg with 1 gallon of water, but my little flock doesn't drink even close to gallon of water in a day...they rarely finish off a quart between the 4 of them (in several different waterers). So should I must mix up a smaller batch? Will they drink enough for it to be effective? Should my younger birds get a more diluted mixture than my older bird?

And now for the question that I am afraid is really dumb...how do I measure out mg? I have a little kitchen scale, but it isn't marked for milligrams (is that even what mg stands for in this case?). I am new to chickens, so I will take any advice/tips you have.

Thanks!

2. LaurasLorps

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Anyone?

3. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Do a search for "dosage duramycin" or "dose duramycin" here on BYC. There is an older thread out there that is easy to find that gives the exact amounts to mix (in teaspoons) per quart or gallon. I'll also look for the link and post it if I find it.

4. LaurasLorps

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Found it. Thanks!

5. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by