help with Dutch Bantam Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilverStar, May 4, 2009.

1. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    We just got a Blue Dutch Bantam Roo about 2 weeks ago. Has anyone owned one or does own one? How is their temperment? He is so darling and he is only about 5 - 6 weeks old and is already trying to crow...soo cute. If anyone has any personal info about them or advice, please let me know. Thanks
    Oh and if anyone has any pictures of their dutch roos, i would love to see them.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    My sister keeps Dutch. My experience with them is that some are truculent, some are very sweet. It seems to run in the breeders lines. She has four different breeders lines. Two are calm, two are truculent.

They are very pretty birds. They are a little more flightly than her MGBs but there are a few hens that are very sweet.

I need to put up some pics for someone else...I'll try to figure it out tonight.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Busy! Fast, noisy, very, very talkative. Feisty! Keep their spurs trimmed! They are like roosters on speed they are so busy some times. And they fly very well. Until he got his wings trimmed Guido could fly up to our second floor deck.

[​IMG]

Guido and Nuncio.

4. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    For those of us with limited vocabularies- I looked up truculent in a thesaurus, it means hostile, bad tempered, defiant, quarrelsome, etc.

5. Dannyo

Dannyo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2008
    Gainesville
    [​IMG]

but thank you that was bothering me a bit.

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Renee' :

For those of us with limited vocabularies- I looked up truculent in a thesaurus, it means hostile, bad tempered, defiant, quarrelsome, etc.

Yeah, that pretty much defines my Dutch roos. They are like little testosterone machines and crow incessantly to declare how manly they are. I'm sure if they were people they'd have jacked up pick ups and be getting into bar fights constantly.​

7. SilverStar

May 4, 2009
    california
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I just love the pic of the roos! Soo cute!

8. SilverStar

May 4, 2009
    california
    Quote:

Last edited: May 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by