1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help with egg id. attention welsummer and barnevelder fans

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barnmaradotte, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    so yesterday I got o ur first egg from the wyandotte. today she laid another. But we also got a first egg from either a Barnevelder or a Welsummer. We cant tell. Both are 21wks. Here is a picture of the 2 wyandotte eggs and the "mystery" egg. What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I would say a Wellie egg. I have some Wellies that came from a commercial hatchery that lay eggs that color. My Wellies from private stock lay a much much darker egg and some are spotted with very dark spots.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. Barnmaradotte

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    anyone else have some input? I was thinking welsummer also but think its on the light side. shouldn't it be darker? since its her first egg will they get darker?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Saw your post in the Welsummer thread.

Looks like a Welsummer egg but it is very light. Normally they lay darker at first and then lighten more toward the end of their season before they go into a molt. So generally, no they will NOT get darker. I believe you won't get any darker and not much lighter than the egg shown. I would be very disappointed if that came out of the Welsummer.

5. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi! I agree with Ewesheep that it is probably a Wellie egg and is on the lighter end of the spectrum as far as color is concerned. But I must disagree respectfully with Ewesheep about them not getting any darker upon laying longer......I have had Welsummer gals that started out with eggs just like yours and some got darker as they laid and some did not....mind you they didn't get tons darker, but they did get darker. The Welsummers have paint jets just like the Marans do and some birds take a little longer to work the kinks out of their paint booths, but it doesn't mean that they will all darken up. Each individual bird is different.
    Are your Barnevelders the same age? Their eggs can be very similar to a Wellie egg, right down to the speckles but they should not be as pointy as a Wellie egg and they will be a lighter coppery color and they will not be as big as a Welsummer egg.

Congrats on your new layers!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] Pinkchick, your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Granted in my case, they didn't get darker as I was hoping they would. Like Nate's girls, they lay DARK for two to three months and get a tad lighter as they get thru the half part of the season and their eggs now are as light as OP's egg. Looks like molt will be arriving sooner than normal. Poor girls are going to look awful in the next two months. Hope they would like the catfood, dinner scraps to come!

7. Barnmaradotte

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    yea when I first found the wellie thread AFTER I got my chicks I grew very disappointed about what I got. Did the same with the Barnies also. when I need to get new birds I know where to go now. thanks

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I agree, it looks like a wellie egg. I have also had some girls get a bit darker, but not a ton darker - so I agree with pinkchick on the ink jets. But I've never had an egg that light. My newest pullet is laying this color:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by