Help with egg laying behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by taunya1979, Aug 26, 2016.

1. taunya1979

taunya1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    So one of my EE's Lucy started laying a month or so ago I can't rmbr now but I had posted a few weeks ago she went broody. She was staying in the laying box sleeping there only coming out for a few minutes at a time well now she doesn't stay in there anymore I kept shooing other her out now she perches with the other girls but she stopped laying and it's been like 2 weeks since she stopped the sleeping behavior. No eggs from her. What's wro mug with her, her comb even went back to being lighter like before she started laying? Lol did I break my chicken she's also skittish around me now [​IMG][​IMG] she used to squat for me all the time and run up to me first.

2. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    There is nothing wrong with her.
    It can takes weeks after they go broody to start laying again.
    And once a hen goes broody once, expect her to do it 3-4 times a year.
    Next time, stick some fertile eggs under her and hatch some chicks.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Never allow the behaviour to begin or last.....Unless you plan to raise chicks? Separate her once she acts that way and force her out...No nesting material...

4. taunya1979

taunya1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    Ty :) but we don't have any fertile eggs. No Roos. Yea I will seperate them next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by