Help with eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joleneschix, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Ok so I have 2 mama hens setting on eggs. I have 5 chicks so far and about 5 eggs left. today found a baby out of shell but looks dead. I do not know if mama tried to help it out of shell but this is # 2 I have found like this. What do I do? Is there a quick way to set up a incubator to help the rest along? One chick I found half way out of shell and mama had pushed it aside, I brought it in the house and warmed it up until it perked up then put it under mama next day and everything is fine with that one. So sort of hoping to do a quick hatch in the house then stick them under mama. Any suggestions would be super. I mean SUPER!!! Thanks. JO

2. ok so I just found out the baby that was hatched but dead its sac that it get its nutrients from was gone and its insides too. So someone ate them after the hatch. Weird. Glad I was able to save the other one. Still ned suggestions on the other eggs. I need a quick incubator plans. They should be ready to hatch soon.

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    You could build your own! Go to stormthecastle.com and click on homemade incubator. Great site! That is how I have made mine real fast easy and cheap!

4. Ok so I checked out the website and have my quickie bator set up with eggs. Keeping a close eye on it to be sure the temp stays pretty regular. Still firming with that. I took the eggs from the mama's cause I would like the rest to hatch out. But I am curious does anyone think the mama's ate the babies yolk sack? Or could the other chicks have done it? And could they have pecked the egg open early? I am wondering how lucky I will be with these eggs. I candles with a small flashlight and there is dark spots in most of the egg and an air pocket. I hope you all have more advice. Thanks again.

5. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    It sounds like the eggs are fully developed but dont know on the momma. Any chance it could have been another hen or roo? Did she sit on the eggs for the last three weeks or another hen?

6. Ok so I had 2 mamas sitting in 2 different nest right next to each other. Mama1 started about a week before mama2. When mama1 hatched out 4 of her chicks and things were ok so I built a small pen in front of the nest boxes and put a chick waterer in there with food for the mama. When she came out to get a drink(with the chicks), mama2 went into mama1 nest. So mama1 went into mama2 nest. After some time I found that they were constantly switching nests and both seemed to be brooding the chicks and the eggs. Well after a couple days I went in and found 1 chick dead, and another trying to get out of its egg. I took out dead chick(did not think to look at it) and buried it, then made sure the other one was under mama. After an hour or so I went back to check on the progress of the other chick and they had pushed it out of the nest. So I took it inside and put it under a heat lamp and let it warm up and get out of the egg on its own. The next day it was peeping and fine so I waited till it got warm and put it under mama1. She totally accepted it. Then I took all the eggs and put them in one nest. Well now both mamas want to be on the eggs and brood the chicks. Neither one wants to give up the nest. Both of them seem to be real good to the chicks and want to set on the eggs. Today I found them in there peeping and having a fit and thats when I found the dead chick. When I got it to the house and looked it over, they had torn the yolk sac off and part of its insides were gone. I knew it was dead at that point and buried it. I am not sure who is doing it but I would have to say that since mama1 hatched out 4 on her own I think it is mama2 doing it. Not sure why cause she is good with the chicks. I do not think it is roo cause for 1 I have the pen in front of the nest boxes, he is to big to get in there. And 2 he is to busy sowing his seed in all the other hens to want to be in the coop during the day. But I am thinking about moving the mamas and the chicks to a brooding area a way from everyone else. I took the rest of the eggs from them and have them in the house now. I am crossing my fingers they do well. I do not know what else to do.

7. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I'm not sure. It could be anything! I am glad that site worked for you. Pretty cool, huh? That is how I make all my bators!!!

8. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I'm not sure. It could be anything! I am glad that site worked for you. Pretty cool, huh? That is how I make all my bators!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by