Help with emergency kit!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shuizar209, Nov 23, 2010.

1. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    I want to put together an emergency kit/first aid kit. One that includes things you could use even if not in an emergency. Like antibiotics, tweezers, ointments, dewormers, vitamins, chick meds and supplies. Please post what you have and what you use it for.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Haha Thank you so much. I guess I should have done a board search. [​IMG]

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Extra syringes, it's a PITA to need one now when the feed store is closed. Useful not only for injections, but feeding small amounts of liquid, or dispensing small amounts of medicine/dewormer/etc
    Super small sharp scissors are handy, the kind I use are sewing/embroidery scissors and I have a pair for humans in the bathroom and a pair for pets in the kit
    I would like to get some vet scalpels to keep on hand for when you need a super sharp skin knife.
    I probably have a list of ointments a mile long [​IMG]
    Epsom salts are one of the handiest things to have on hand too, for humans and pets
    bandage supplies, gauze, vet wrap, cloth medical tape, butterfly suture strips, duct tape is always good
    make sure to have a heating pad and heat lamp that can be used for the weak (for example, my mom would demand we have two heating pads one for humans one for birds, but I just have one myself)
    I also keep my dog's nail clippers, a few cheap disposable razors (used in the past to shave a dog's sore), the legbands and pliars, and the Frontline meds in with all this stuff as well just so it's all together.
    I don't have any oral "meds" exactly, but I have rooster booster vitamin supplement, and the non-iron Poly-vi-sol, again it's kinda a pain if you have to run out to WalMart at 2am to get baby vitamins (speaking from experience here)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by