Help with eye injury.

Pics

Please

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
So yesterday my dad and I went to the run to feed the chickens and we noticed one of the hens couldn't move around very well.. so I grabbed her and saw that her eye had been hurt. But like not the eye but the eyebrow area. I believe one of the other hens did it.. since one of them just went broody around the same time. Here is the hen's eye. Should I try to treat it or should I let it heal on it's own?

Umm... Its a tricky thing I can imagine, but if you've ever heard of it, there's a liquid medicine called Colloidal Silver. Its completely natural and is also drinkable can be used on human and animals in eyes, mouth skin anything really. I highly recommend it because it won't cause any pain to your chicken.

If it were me, I would give it a day or two. As long as there are no respiratory symptoms involved, it may very well be just hurt and will heal or not on it's own. Just keep a good eye on it, if you start seeing any other type of symptoms, please post back. Right now, I'm really not sure there is anything you could really do to help. There are threads on BYC that tell how they have used triple antibiotic ointment and other ophthalmic creams, but myself, I really try to stay away from that. A coop is a dirty place, no matter how clean we keep it. There is dust and all kinds of other not so nice things floating in the air. You put an ointment on the eye and that stuff floating is going to end up sticking in it. If your hen is healthy to begin with, chances are you will not have to do anything at all. Right now, even though it looks very clean, the nost i would do is get a bottle of saline eye drops, keep this chilled and wet a soft piece of guaze with it and wipe the eye a couple of times a day. The saline drops have a slight antibiotic property and the coolness will help with any swelling.

If it were me, I would give it a day or two. As long as there are no respiratory symptoms involved, it may very well be just hurt and will heal or not on it's own. Just keep a good eye on it, if you start seeing any other type of symptoms, please post back. Right now, I'm really not sure there is anything you could really do to help. There are threads on BYC that tell how they have used triple antibiotic ointment and other ophthalmic creams, but myself, I really try to stay away from that. A coop is a dirty place, no matter how clean we keep it. There is dust and all kinds of other not so nice things floating in the air. You put an ointment on the eye and that stuff floating is going to end up sticking in it. If your hen is healthy to begin with, chances are you will not have to do anything at all. Right now, even though it looks very clean, the nost i would do is get a bottle of saline eye drops, keep this chilled and wet a soft piece of guaze with it and wipe the eye a couple of times a day. The saline drops have a slight antibiotic property and the coolness will help with any swelling.
i don't think it'd be a respiratory issue since there was blood in that spot yesterday.

Umm... Its a tricky thing I can imagine, but if you've ever heard of it, there's a liquid medicine called Colloidal Silver. Its completely natural and is also drinkable can be used on human and animals in eyes, mouth skin anything really. I highly recommend it because it won't cause any pain to your chicken.
As long as it is medical quality and not just a health food store colloidal silver. The stuff found in most health food store can be dangerous to both humans and our animals. It's not the same stuff you get from a doctor or pharmacy. Just an FYI here. I have the medical quality stuff and it is awesome, but I would never think of using anything else other than that.

i don't think it'd be a respiratory issue since there was blood in that spot yesterday.
Please, I think we've talked before! It looks to me to be an injury as well but want to make sure there aren't other symptoms. I would treat this the same way you'd treat yourself with a 'shiner' or blackeye. It looks about the same to me. Just watch it to make sure nothing gets infected and all should be just fine.

Yes I agree about that, but the real stuff is amazing we sometimes use it our dogs eyes if they get pussy or anything.
I agree with you 100%! I fell on a wood stove a year ago and ended up with 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my forearm. My doctor gave me a jar of it and man...let me tell you, I don't even have a single scar! Because it was 3rd in some places, I of course got some slight infection as I still had to go about daily stuff as well as take care of my animals. The cream cleared it up in a couple of days and seriously, there are no scars where there should have been some. I just wanted to make the point that all colloidal silver is not alike. Pharmacy? Good. Health store...not so much. Just be aware of what you are getting.

Hi --- The problem is that you cannot judge what path to take until you know the extent of the injury. Have you looked at the eyeball itself? Is the eyelid swollen shut so tightly that you can't? Have you tried?

Hi --- The problem is that you cannot judge what path to take until you know the extent of the injury. Have you looked at the eyeball itself? Is the eyelid swollen shut so tightly that you can't? Have you tried?
I've been too scared to try to open her since it's all crusty and stuff. But I will try tomorrow <3

Back
Top Bottom