1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help with fast illness please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by syble, May 20, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i've made a big mistake, i brought home 7 sussex chicks that weren't at their prime and introduced them to a brooder with 30 other chicks their same age. I'll never make that mistake again, but i only had 3 brooders so i thought by putting them in the house brooder i could keep a better eye on them. that was sunday afternoon. I work midnights. when i got up on tuesday i noticed them all (the sussex and orps and chanties) sneezing, this was approximately 48 hours after being put together, before that the orps were completely healthy, hatched in my house hadn't left the house yet or come into contact with anything else. It had to have come from the less then stellar sussex. Signs showed up between 36 and 48 hours.

They are sneezing, it sounds snotty but no one has any mucus from their noses or eyes or anything.

poop is normal and solid

i see them swallowing and the odd yawn. no coughing.

No blood or runs.

good appetite and vigor still, they sleep a fair bit but so do all chicks right? i see them doing the jumping rooster dance and flapping around and what not.

There is one gosling in there, but i don't think she has caught it... i see no sneezing, swallowing or anything to make me think she is unhealthy.

I put them on Poly-tonine A super booster no. 1 on tuesday night. active antibiotics are penicillin g potassium and streptomycin sulfate...I ran out and couldnt find any more at the local feed stores so switched them to neo-chlor, active ingrediants are tetracycline HCL and neomycin sulfate. I switched them last night. Also adding the vitamine booster to water aswell.

I'm not sure what they have. no one has died, or looks on deaths door. a couple look frumpy, but at other times they dont. i hear the sneezing, but cant find any snot. poop is normal. Not sure what to do.
    Any help would be appreciated. If anyone knows what they have that would be helpfull too. Ideally i would like to help them recover, but i don't want to accidently infect my healthy chicks and turkeys out in the barn. I also have chicks due to hatch soon and again would prefer not to infect them.
    Thanks
    sib

2. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    How old are they and where did they come from?

3. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    everyones around 2 weeks give or take. the orps and chanties i hatched myself, and were healthy untill after i added the sussex. i bought them at a buy sell trade, stupid i know. Not a mistake i will make again i can assure you.

4. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    anything?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

6. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i'm thinking they have infectious bronchitis... should they all be put down?

7. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:First off, I have no experience with respiratory disease in chickens. So I wouldn't be able to confirm any type of diagnosis. And I would be wary of diagnosing something serious with just sneezing. (Although that is not to say that some BYC'ers who have had sick flocks might not be able to do so). So take this with a grain of salt.

------

Well there is much debate on here about putting chickens down for respiratory disease.

Some folks sell eggs and chicks to others. It wouldn't be fair to spread disease. So some choose to put down chickens.

Others, like me, have a backyard flock for enjoyment and wouldn't put them down for it. However, I would stop selling at auction like I do sometimes when I downsize. It is a personal decision. I would be ok with just having a closed flock.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

8. ChickensAreSweet

9. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    thanks for the link. CRD is one of the ones i ruled out based on incubation time. my healthy non stressed orpington chicks showed symptoms in 36-48 hours after exposure.

The rest of my birds out side are all healthy. so far i have contained it to the brooder inside. i want to be able to sell healthy birds and hatching eggs in the future. which i guess makes my decission for me. Doesn't make it suck any less though. thanks for the help
    Sib

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Make sure you wash up before you go near your other brooders. I was told if they get IB some will start dying. My guess is something got introduced, but sorry I can't help with what. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by