Help with feather loss, mites, or bullying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CWiley, Feb 21, 2015.

1. CWiley

CWiley New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    Hi everyone, I know there are lots of questions and threads on here about feather loss but I have yet to find a picture that looks like one of my chickens that I'm having issues with. They are my Mother in laws Chickens and I have recently moved in and am helping take care of them. I started noticing feather loss around the head of one of my hens a few months ago, I didn't think much of it because I figured she was just molting as a few other hens were also, but not necessarily around the head. It has been at least two months and she has still not grown back any feathers and her body looks very shabby, thinning feathers, downy feather showing on her back etc. I noticed the dominant hen pecking at her on numerous occasions and noticed a few marks on a few other hens, also a big patch of one of the other hens almost looks like some of her primaries have been broken off and not grown back, almost like a big bite was taken off of her feathers. I wasn't sure if the dominant hen was also pecking at her as well, which I think would be odd as they are often paired up and very close. I have removed the possible bully hen but am not sure if she is the actual problem. Its very cold here, bellow zero at night and sometimes during the day so Id rather have her with the rest of the flock for warmth at night so if she is not the problem I like to get her back with the rest of the girls asap. I have included pictures of the hens missing feathers. Please let me know what you all think may be the problem. I am going to be picking up some food and supplements incase they are not getting enough nutrients for her to complete the molting process as they are use to eating bugs and free ranging in the warmer months, but with feet upon feet of snow they are coop/run bound. Thanks for all the help![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by