Help with feed for new chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Winter, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Winter

Winter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    I don't know what to do. I had my chicks vaccinated because I thought it would be better than feeding the feed. After having done so I now find that I can't buy NON medicated feed anywhere. Now the chicks are here and I am terrified to feed them the medicated feed in case it will hurt them since they are vaccinated?!
    I gave them a dish of %16 grower but know that's not enough for them since the chick feed is %20?
    What should I do???
    They are so cute!

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

yea feeding them medicated feed will cancle it out. You should check a local tsc, or feedstore or feedmill

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

First question, what did you get them vaccinated for? If you got them vaccinated for cocci, you are right, if it was for mericks, then go ahead and give medicated feed.

4. Winter

Apr 2, 2008
    They were vaccinated for Cocci. I have been to every feed store in a 4 hour radius and it is impossible to buy non-medicated feed.
    Will feeding it to them kill them?

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Can you find Purina Flock Raiser or a gamebird starter? You could mix with what you have to get the protein up a bit. I use Purina Start and Grow with 18% protein.

6. Winter

Apr 2, 2008
    Nope, no purina feeds around here. The only chicken feed is Nutrena medicated chick starter and prostock feeds. I have been feeding them the %16 pullet grower since last night when they arrived and I also have a bag of the Nutrena Medicated chick starter. I am afraid to feed them the Medicated feed since they are vaccinated for Cocci.

So can anyone tell me if the medicated feed will harm them or will it just nulify their vaccine, which shouldn't matter if they are getting the medicated feed anyhow??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by