Help with feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by taunya1979, Aug 21, 2016.

1. taunya1979

taunya1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    Ok so normally I use organic chick start crumble as some of my chickens haven't started laying yet. Hubby went to TS today and they were out so he bought the organic egg layer pellets. (The organic isn't the problem I orefer non gmo for my girls just don't want to start a argument about organic bs not I read a few posts that were not nice) my last 4 girls were between 5/6 weeks old on Mother's Day I believe can't rmbr exactly but haven't started laying yet. Being that some are laying from a earlier batch is this food ok for them or do I need to return it? I read somewhere that egg layer has too much calcium something? Please advise if this is ok the chickens are about 3/4 lbs each already.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Yes, the layer feed has too much calcium and can cause kidney problems. It is ok for your layers to eat starter feed as long ad you offer oyster shell on the side.

3. taunya1979

taunya1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    Ok thank you.

4. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    It's fine to feed to them. Even with layer feed it's recommended to feed oyster shell for additional calcium. Yes there is some calcium in the layer feed but not enough to harm your chickens. They were 5-6 weeks on mothers day, and it's now mid August. Do not bother returning the food, just feed it to them.

1 person likes this.
  5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A little side note, if you plan on feeding layer be sure to keep any treats to a very limited amount. They are at the age where layer feed isn't going to cause any immediate harm, they will be laying very soon. However, layer feed is not appropriate for flocks that have male birds, young chicks, and birds that aren't laying due to brooding or molting. And since it has just barely enough protein to support egg production, extras need to be limited to prevent protein deficiency related issues, like egg eating and feather picking.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by