Help with feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by angelachick, Sep 13, 2016.

1. angelachick

angelachick New Egg

Sep 7, 2016
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    We have 9 chickens they will be four months in a week two have started laying wondering if it's ok to switch to layer feed now or should I wait until more start to lay??

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Welcome to BYC.
    Some would say they are too young yet. But you have two laying now. If the others are the same breed I would expect them to start soon as well. If you are out of grower then starting layer now isn't really too bad a thing. If you have grower I would finish that out with a calcium supplement on the side. There really isn't anything extra in layer except the calcium.

1 person likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'd start them now. No harm for the ones that have not yet started laying, at this point. Laying is hard on calcium reserves. IMO, good to have a little built up for the future. But, if you still have some starter/grower left, you can just offer supplemental oyster shell.

2 people like this.
  4. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I have a Chocolate Cuckoo Cockerel that is still on starter feed. I'm planning on taking him off the starter feed this November and I was wondering what feed I should put him on. I don't think he needs layer feed like the hens since he is male, what should I do?

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How old is he? I find it interesting that all of the folks who are very insistent that pullets should not get layer until they are laying really don't have much to say about Cockrels. IMO, you can treat him just like your pullets: Start them on layer around 16 weeks, or when you get your first egg, or keep the entire flock on Multi flock (about 20% protein) with supplemented oyster shell on the side. Really, the only reason I ever buy layer feed is b/c it's easier on my wallet. Otherwise, I'd use non medicated starter or multi-flock, or some such combination year round for my mixed age flock.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Just feed everyone a grower, all flock, or flock raiser type feed, and have crushed oyster shell available for those that need it. Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. It is not appropriate for flocks with roosters, mixed ages, or molting birds. The excess calcium will eventually destroy the kidneys. It is much safer to allow the birds to self-regulate their calcium intake.

7. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish

I do have 4 hens that are laying and my cockerel is a little older then 2 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by