Help with female muscovy and bleeding!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amandan19, May 2, 2017.

1. amandan19

amandan19 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2017
    hello, my name is amanda and I am new to this forum. I have two muscovy ducks 1 male and 1 female. the female is 9 months old now and starting last week I saw her bleeding through her wings. this I find out has to do with her blood feathers? well she keeps rebleeding because i think jake my male will not stop mating with her. now she is all scabbed up underneath, it looks light brownish in nature. Does anyone here have any experience with this that they can help me and please give me some advice? I can even give my email if I am sent a private message. I want little daisy to be ok. I have been putting banix on the areas and cleaning them. what can I do about this and will she be ok? and she is 9 months now and still not laying any eggs could this have to do with the bleeding?

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and [​IMG]!

Do you have a photo you can post? If you suspect that your drake is overly enthusiastic in mating and that he's injuring your duck, I'd separate them now and see if her condition improves; if it does, you have confirmation of the cause of the problem.

Your duck sounds like she's of laying age, so if she's in good health, she could start at any time. If she's stressed, it may affect or delay the onset of laying. Muscovy eggs are beautiful (and delicious) - they'll be worth the wait.

@Miss Lydia

3. amandan19

May 2, 2017
    Hello and thank u for the welcome!here are some pics I have been putting bannix on it but any advice would be great[​IMG]

4. amandan19

May 2, 2017
    [​IMG] I heard too that the younger ones can groom themselves until they bleed so I'm not sure if that is how it started and then the mating made it worse

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

@amandan19 , I haven't had one with a wound like that, but it seems possible that a drake, climbing on the duck, could create that kind of abrasion. As you know, they have very sharp nails on their feet, and they use them to keep their balance when mating. Keeping the drake away from her and treating the wound should help her feel a lot better. Just keep an eye out for signs of infection, like pus, odor, swelling - if you see these, you'll obviously want to take a different treatment approach.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by