Help with feral/wild baby chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jjandm, Feb 1, 2017.

1. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    I have a wild/feral mama hen whose eggs are currently hatching (we are in Hawaii and chickens are everywhere here, lol). One is the baby chicks does not look good. His toe are curled and he just seems to be struggling to move around. I found him away from the mama, and he just doesn't look good. He is chirping and I was able to put him under the mama, but I am wondering if there is anything I could do. The two other chicklets that hatched yesterday looked much better, and they fluffed up almost right away. He also seems to have something that is stuck on his butt, and I don't want to just pull it and hurt him.

Thank you in advance for any help you'll be able to give! I can post pictures and video, if you'd like.

Thank you so much again!
    Miyuki

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Luv to see some pix of the chicks as well as mama. I know of the feral chicken population in Hawaii. The thing on his/hers but sounds maybe like pasty butt. Soak it and try to remove then.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

4. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    WELCOME TO BYC!!!

sounds like he has curled toes, make shoes with tape or bandaids for a day or two, soak bum in warm water or warm water with epsom salts

DO NOT PICK at it, it could be its belly button not its vent, many new chick keepers get this confused and pull out intestines when they pick at the belly button

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply. The thing hanging from his Butt fell off. I am going to attach a few more pictures. The chick does not seem to want to stay under mama. What can I do, if anything? He is shaking, and I'm not sure if it is because he is cold.[​IMG]

6. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    Thank you all for your help! Should I pick him up? I read somewhere they shouldn't be touched until they fluff up. Why do you think he doesn't look as healthy as the other ones?

7. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    what are the temps there?

can it stand?

do you have any electrolytes? you could give it some water with polyvisol, gatorade, powerade, etc

8. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

Am I able to upload a video, by any chance?

9. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    Right now it is in the low 70s, but it is kind of chilly for hawaii. He can stand, but he is very unstable and keeps falling/rolling. Why wouldn't he want to stay under mama? I don't have any electrolytes, but I could get some. Would he just drink from a little spoon? I really appreciate you all's[​IMG] help, this is a first for me!

10. jjandm

jjandm Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    Here is what the siblings look like - one is less than a day old, and the other is a day a half.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by