Help with First Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kittykat2003uk, Jun 12, 2011.

1. kittykat2003uk

kittykat2003uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    Hi all

New here had chickens for years but used to have a broody hen who hatched them out.. We gave up our farm last year so are trying the incubating way.

Right due today... 2 have broke the shell but not the membrane at 8pm its now 12:30am and nothing stll but chirping chicks inside. 2 more have just don the same

When do i start to help them ?

thanks

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Hi, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Once they start chirping, it'll be another 24 hours or so before they start trying to pip. Don't get

in a rush. [​IMG] Usually, I don't like to see "When do I need to help" Because it's not normal to help.

Your not supposed to, and most chicks that are helped out of the shell die before crowing age.

But... I am guilty of helping many shrink wrapped chicks, and only two out of about 10 that I have

helped had the strength to live. Do not mess with your eggs, because your situation is with-out

a doupt totally normal. Just keep the incubator closed, and watch [​IMG]

3. kittykat2003uk

kittykat2003uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    Thanks!

I felt so guilty as about 7 days ago i was candling with a bulb and a empty toilet roll holder and managed to drop one so it had a 3mm crack in it... so not knowing what to do i put a peice of tape across the crack i felt so guilty it was the opposite bit of the air sack, i have now invested in a proper candler. But it lived and he/she was the first to pip [​IMG] i am so happy

I have humidity at 71% so i hpe this is right as there are so many different answers i have seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by