Help with Free Range Hen sitting on unfertile eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by upto7, Aug 17, 2011.

1. upto7

upto7 New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    I have a free range hen who has been sitting on about 14 unfertilized eggs. There is no rooster around. She has been sitting on the eggs for about 2 1/2 weeks. They are really smelly. I would like to get her off the eggs and dispose of them. Anyone with great ideas on how to accomplish this. I am new to raising chickens. Thanks for your help.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Just remove her from the eggs and dispose of them. If you wish to have chicks, though, this is a perfect opportunity to buy some day olds and place under her so she can brood them for you.

3. upto7

upto7 New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks Beekissed! I was wondering if that would be a good idea. Baby chicks come into the feed store on Thursdays. I think I will take the opportunity to add a couple of new babies to the flock. [​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Make sure to add them to her nest under cover of darkness....just slip the eggs out, then slip the chicks in. Be careful you don't bust an egg!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Keep us posted!

5. upto7

upto7 New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks for that info. I would have never known to place the chicks at night. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for your help. I will post how this goes.[​IMG]

6. upto7

upto7 New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    Well, she got off her nest a little while ago. I ran over and pulled all the eggs (about 10 eggs) while she was gone. Poor sweetie:(. I replaced her eggs with 3 egg shaped rocks. I hope she goes for it. She did run back to her nest after about 15 min. being gone. I'll keep watching this afternoon. I'll try adding a few chicks either tonight or tomorrow night if it looks like she is accepting the rock;)s.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by