Help with gender - any wild guesses on breed too?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hoping4Hens, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Hoping4Hens

Hoping4Hens New Egg

Nov 18, 2016
    Hello. Our family is new to chickens and were given a Mama and her 7 chicks to raise. We do not know the breed (pic of Mama attached). The chicks are approximately 19 weeks old (plus or minus a couple of weeks, probably plus). We are certain that 3, probably 4 are cockerels which we will have to re-home due to city ordinances but are crossing our fingers at least 2 or 3 are pullets. We would rather get to the re-homing sooner than later so the kids do not get too attached. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    Mama
    [​IMG]
    Chick 4 on the left (probably a roo)
    [​IMG]
    Chick 4
    [​IMG]
    Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2 on left
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    Chick 3
    [​IMG]
    Chick 3
    [​IMG]
    Chick 3
    [​IMG]
    Chick 3 (in the middle next to one of the roos :))

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Chicks 4,barred chick in same piicture and the first #1 are cockerels as are the 2 in the lower right corner on #3. The second #1 is a different chick and is a pullet as are 2 and 3. Interesting mixes on the girls.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Momma looks like a hatchery quality light Brahma. I think I can see a pea comb and lightly feathered legs. She may be a mix, the body shape is off a little, or she may simply be a less than stellar quality hatchery bird. I have one that looks pretty similar from a hatchery who is also raising chicks now, I call her Brahma Momma [​IMG]

The chicks are all mixed breed birds. There were either multiple roosters, or the rooster was himself a mixed breed bird. And always the possibility the Brahma isn't the genetic momma, either. In theory, her pea comb should be dominant and all her offspring should have pea combs. Since there are straight combed chicks, either she's not their momma, or she's carrying a recessive gene for the straight comb. Feathered legs are also partially dominant, so some chicks should have those, at least a bit, if she's the genetic mother.

1, 2 and 3 are pullets.

4 is a little boy.

4. Hoping4Hens

Hoping4Hens New Egg

Nov 18, 2016
    Thanks so much. We appreciate your feedback.

5. Hoping4Hens

Hoping4Hens New Egg

Nov 18, 2016
    Wow, thank-you so much for sharing your knowledge. We figured she was probably a "mutt" so to speak :). We will see how the egg laying goes once it starts. Have a great Thanksgiving.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You're welcome. My Brahma Momma was a pretty decent layer and I was thrilled when she went broody. I think she only hatched two of her own chicks, and of course I'm pretty sure they are cockerels. So I'll have to wait for more chicks to see how her daughters lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by