Help with gender please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NosiphoChooks, Feb 13, 2013.

1. NosiphoChooks

NosiphoChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Ive posted this one a couple of months ago. S/he is about 4 and a half months old now maybe a week or two more. I was always under the impression that it was a hen but am having doubts yet again. It always acts like a hen but has some funky looking feathers on it's neck although Im not sure if thats just the patterning as I don't have any more that colour. Also you can see her hatch mate behind her who is most definately a boy and he looks so different!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    looks like a boy.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    rooster

4. NosiphoChooks

Nov 2, 2012
    Oh no thats so rubbish I really wanted to keep him, now I'm going to have to decide between the two araucanas and I love them both! What was the decider out of interest? Thats rubbish out of 3 cream legbars and 2 araucanas I've had off this guy only 1 was a hen and she died :(

5. NosiphoChooks

Nov 2, 2012
    Is that 100%? I definately don't want to get rid of it unless its definately a boy.

6. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Who did you buy them from?

I'd probably keep the lavender just because it looks like the black is a bit of a mess of colours (not a standard colour). Unless of course, you're not bothered about breeding, in which case, keep the black because he looks more interesting :)

7. NosiphoChooks

Nov 2, 2012
    Got them from a man who breeds them as a hobby, he has just started on the legbars and aracuanas so these are his first generation. I thought the black one was a bit messy! TBH with the large fowl I wasn't planning to breed from them, they are more for eggs. I have polish frizzle bantams who I hope to breed eventually. I hand reared these little boys and will be really sad to see either of them go, Think I'm going to bite the bullet and keep the lavender and find a new home for the other one.

As long as it is 100% a boy, I would hate to get rid and for it to be a girl!

8. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I think it's safe to say he's a cockerel. The way his colour is coming out isn't possible on hens.

9. NosiphoChooks

Nov 2, 2012
    Aww bless, he will have to find a new home then! I see what you mean the wings have a lot more colour on them. Oh well its a shame but hopefully I can find him a good home! What type of chickens do you have 'Time-out'? Nice to meet another Brit!

10. Time-Out

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Howdudu :) More and more brits are discovering this hidden resource. I love it here; there is so much information and everyone is so friendly!

I breed a variety of colours of araucanas, silver laced bantam barnevelders and I have a couple of other projects on the go (at this early stage, they'd still be classed as 'crosses'). I also have some yellow pencilled friesians; silver, citron and chamois sebrights, vorwerks, a citron millefleur sabelpoot, a silver spangled appenzeller, cream legbars and a mahoosive barnevelder cockerel.

It's difficult to find a good home for a cockerel. I wish you luck in your endeavour. Don't bother with auctions; he'll just end up on someone's plate and you'll have no control over how or when the 'processing' is done. It's why we process our cockerels ourselves. We know they've had a good life, they're not stressed and it's done humanely. It's not easy, though. It's a pain chickens aren't like horses or dogs. Although, I doubt I could get away with raising a foal in my living room...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by