Help with gender please!

zork81

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 27, 2013
Hello, I am new to this forum and just starting my backyard chicken life. I have 3 6 week old chicks. One is a sex linked red and then we got two blue laced red wyandottes. The two wyandottes are developing a little differently and I would like your opinion on them. I asked for females since I can only have hens in my city so if one is a rooster I'm going to have to return him to the breeder I got him from. My concern is one of them is smaller than the other with a much more pronounced tail and her top wattle has a little indent to it rather than being flat.) Thank you in advance!
Here They are outside, the one with her head down is showing the tail

Look like pullets to me but the red one has a biggish comb might be a roo. Id wait a few week to be sure

Thanks! The red is sex linked so she's the only one I'm not actually worried about :) I'm really quite attached so although my husband told me "we can just trade it back in if it's not female" I already love my little girls. I'm hoping I'm just paranoid.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing anything screaming rooster at this point. Look around at some of the sexing threads about wyandottes and see how the males feather out differently, that way you can keep an eye on them.

Here are some better pictures I took today. "her" tail continues to get significantly larger than the other two.

The sisters together.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom