Help with gender

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 1000yearoldeggs, Dec 5, 2013.

1. 1000yearoldeggs

1000yearoldeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    This is the one quail out of my group of five that has been harassing and making the other ones bleed. I thought this one was a female because I saw spots, but then it started crowing and got very aggressive. The crowing means it's 100% male, right? The spots confused me.

[​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Yes it's a Roo

3. 1000yearoldeggs

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    Thanks. That makes me sad. I think I know why he's so aggressive though. I think my youngest is a female, so he's attacking everyone else and jumping on her, even though she's a bit too young I think. I'm probably gonna try to hatch more soon, hopefully more females this time. Thanks for your input.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck wishing for more females out of a coturnix hatch [​IMG]

By attacking do you mean he is holding onto their heads and climbing on their backs or is he pulling feathers out intentionally? Do you have birds that are missing feathers? If the rooster gets knocked off while doing the deed he will chase her around trying to get back on the wagon.

Because I raise a lot of birds I usually send those roosters with the oddball spots to freezer camp so they aren't reproducing birds that are hard to autosex.

5. 1000yearoldeggs

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    He pulls out feathers and made one of them bleed. I noticed he was trying to mount the youngest one, which I'm now 100% sure is female. I'm keeping her separate just so they won't fight, plus she's younger than them and seems happy to be on her own for a while.

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suggest processing the aggressive rooster, if he makes one bleed while youre not around and the bleeding doesn't stop quickly enough you won't be happy with the results. In my experience if they are aggressive they never stop being aggressive. You may be able to give him away or something if you don't process birds. Or maybe just keep him solo but they get noisy when you do that.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  7. 1000yearoldeggs

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    Thanks, I may have someone who will take him and maybe the other males. I'm not sure if I can process him, I guess we'll see what happens.

8. QuailRaiser

QuailRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

definitly a Roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by