Help with gender

Jaemomma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Georgia
OK, my Buff Orpingtons are 18 weeks old now. None are laying. I am positive 3 are roosters (which we plan to eat), 4 are hens for sure, and the other 3, well, I'm not so sure.

I have 3 that are similar to this, large red combs and waddles, but tail feathers just kind of lay flat over its rear.

This one looks like a rooster to me, poofing tail feathers.

Then this one in the middle of the frame, looks like an obvious hen with her pointy tail feathers, and lighter smaller comb.

I think the first bird and the ones that look like it are slow maturing cockerels. You can see darker shading on the wings, and the start of saddle feathers.

OK. I'm still waiting a bit to be sure, I don't want to accidentally feed a hen to the family.

I would appreciate being told what you all see that tells you the difference? Is it just the comb? Tail feathers? Other things? Thanks.

OK. I'm still waiting a bit to be sure, I don't want to accidentally feed a hen to the family.

I would appreciate being told what you all see that tells you the difference? Is it just the comb? Tail feathers? Other things? Thanks.

Birds in pictures one and two in the first post show pointy saddle feathers and male shading of their overall feathering (the dark patchy bits on the wings, tail, etc). The third picture shows a bird with nice, rounded saddle feathers and a more even coloration

OK, my Buff Orpingtons are 18 weeks old now. None are laying. I am positive 3 are roosters (which we plan to eat), 4 are hens for sure, and the other 3, well, I'm not so sure.

I have 3 that are similar to this, large red combs and waddles, but tail feathers just kind of lay flat over its rear.

Front center - roo
center back - pullet
right side (head cut off) - roo

Your second set are male. You can see the shading on the body, darker on the wings and sometimes the neck. The hens are a more even shade fof buff over the entire body. The cockerels have a leggy look, the hens are more finished looking. Combs are a good indicator, but on this breed they're trickier than some more production based breeds because Orpingtons are a slower to mature breed, so the boys can be a little more shy about announcing themselves!

If you're concerned about accidently butchering a hen, just butcher in batches. The obvious males first, then in a month or so you should be confident who else goes.

Back
Top Bottom