Help with Genesis 1588 please . . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Mar 28, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I am working with my first set of eggs. I bought the G 1588 based on great reviews here and at my local hatchery.
    Plugged it in followed the instructions -. Left the pre-calibrated settings alone & ignored the included cheapy thermometer - as per the instructions. Waited until the light blinked at regular intervals. 26 eggs arrived, let them sit about 5 hours until apx room temp. Put them in G 1588 two days ago.
    Q 1. Automatic egg turner didn't work first night - fixed that. Do you think them not getting turned for first 12 hours will be problem?

Q 2. The cheapy thermometer still only reads 76 degrees F. The book with the darn thing says ignore thermometer for first hatch and go with pre-calibrated settings . . . Isn't it supposed to be like 100 degrees in there? The eggs feel cool to the touch . . . is that ok? Have I killed them all before getting started?

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Not turning the first day won't matter.

I'd say your not getting any heat. They should feel pretty toasty when you handle them.

If, they really are at only 76 degrees, they haven't started to develope and you have a chance to get the bator working before it's too late.[​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:They will be fine not being turned that length of time don't worry about it.

You really do need to find yourself a digital Themometer/Hygrometer so you can read your temps and humidity levels if you don't have one. Don't rely on the cheap deal that comes with the bator for a reading.

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Hi Katy -
    My new 1588 was warm at 98.5 within 30 minutes of first start. I would return & grab another one if you can. There must be something wrong with your first one.
    Also, check out the digital hygrometers at either Walmart or RadioShack. Much more accurate than what you are using and gives you peace of mind.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Will go get digital.
    Did you mess with the setting or just go with the factory ones?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What number do they have it on? I've got 3 of them and they've always warmed up very quickly.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

One of mine is on 4 and the others are on 3. At this point I'd go ahead and try a higher number. Be sure and unplug it and turn the 4 rocker arm off and then turn a higher number rocker arm on.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  9. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Mine was ok from the start. Most of the ones I have heard people having problems with, were only off a degree or two either way. I think the instructions say the lowest you can adjust it to is around 85, so, if your is at 76, sounds like you have a bad unit. [​IMG]

10. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:I just plugged it in, and added about 1/4 cup water to the "C" trough in the plastic tray. About 1/4 cup gives me 40% humidity and I am trying to hover between 35% and 45%.
    Also, I'm using a piece of aquarium tubing through the vent hole, under the wire rack to trough "C". This way I can add water with a small funnel on the plastic tube and not lift the lid. I lose about 2 degrees or more every 5 seconds the lid is off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by