Help with grafting chicks to broody

WindyRoost

Songster
May 10, 2020
SW Washington State
I don’t know if I’ve meddled too much, worked too fast or if the situation can be corrected but I need advice for grafting our Blue Wyandotte to accept feed store chicks.

Last year she went solid broody for three weeks and I successfully gave her three feed store chicks. It wasn’t the easiest thing to get her to accept them but she did and raised them well. I spent the better part of two days in the coop making sure she didn’t hurt them.
So this year she went broody again and after two weeks I planned for chicks. We lost two of our layers to coyotes 3 days before chick day so there was extra incentive.
And, well -chicken math. Since the first of each breed doesn’t count, and bantams are only 1/2 a chicken I came home with 9, I mean 2 1/2 chicks. Anyway I snuck two under her back end almost right away (after feeding and watering) and she seemed contented and happy and with five more (infertile) eggs she wasn’t going anywhere. I came back to check on the three of them 20 minutes later and the tiniest Bantam was dead, I think squished between her and the eggs. 😢
I should mention that I converted 3 nest boxes to a floor level brooder, so this is all in the coop.
While I was checking underneath her she hopped off the nest to go eat so I took both chicks and when she came back I slipped four under her in pairs.
They did ok, a few sweet noises so in a half hour I tried to give her another one. She didn’t love it and pecked but I tucked it under her wing and she settled down.
And then I did it again and she literally flew the coop. I had tucked one under her back and about the same time one chick popped out from her breast and she looked at it good, screamed and ran. 🤦‍♀️
If not for my desperation to get her to take these babies, it would have been comical. I empathized, actually.
So.... I tucked everyone under the mama heating pad I have set up next to her under a metal basket. When she returned she crossed the top of the basket, peered over the edge and started trying to peck at whatever she saw. Sigh.
I took them all back to the brooder in my garage and waited until it was completely dark. Then I took them all out, slipped them under her in pairs and removed all the eggs. Checked on them every 20 minutes for a couple hours and didn’t hear any good coos but no one hour attacked either. Once there was a cold escapee who I guided back and noticed she wasn’t doing anything to coax it to her, but it was dark. I woke up before dawn and all was quiet so I came back an hour later after sunrise. Again she had ditched the nest and for a good while. One chick had made its way under the heating pad at some point so I nudged them all under it and when she returned she went to a different nest with no eggs (she’s been switching between two nests until the last several days when she went into lockdown).
So an hour later I tried again, this time by introducing her face to face. She let the first chick come, didn’t react when it pecked her eye except to pull away, and it leaned against her for warmth she let it.
I don’t remember if I helped it get under her feathers or not, but she eventually tucked it under and let it get warm. She tolerated chick 2, pecked hard at chick 3 so I tried with another dark chick and under her. As long as they stayed out of sight under feathers, she was fine.
I left the other chicksunder the heating pad so she could hear them, brought her some treats and she even took a few by hand.

I went to check them again an hour or two later and when the lid lifted she ditched the nest to go scratch around but I heard her calling as if to tidbit to them, and she was tidbitting the mealworms I’d brought her in the nest, too.
Well, this time when she returned she went back to the 1st nest, tried to peck when I tucked a couple under her but when she pulled one out by the leg and dangled it I called it quits and brought everyone back inside.
I can actually raise these babies but was definitely not planning on it. Some of these chicks were born Monday, some Wednesday. Time is not on my side but I feel like there is some hope. Please don’t tell me it’s wishful thinking even if it is 😅
With the idea of getting mama Duchess to accept at least a few babies, what do you recommend we try next?
If you’ve read this far in my Saturday saga-thank you!! This is my current situation. 🥰

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I recommend that you just brood all of them yourself. You've handled them, you've fed them, they are "older" chicks. If she's not taking to them at first sight, then best keep them in and brood them yourself if you don't want any more losses.

Put the broody in a broody breaker and break her.

If you want this hen to brood chicks for you next time, then try with fertile hatching eggs, about 7 of them. Let her sit and actually hatch them out. If she successfully hatches and broods her "own" chicks, then well and good. If she's hatches and still rejects them, then don't use her for a broody ever again.

Just My 2¢

I agree with @Wyorp Rock. I had a similar situation with my most recent broody. I tried and tried, but she just wouldn't go for it, even though she'd been thrilled to adopt babies in the past.

The weather is getting warmer (at least it is here), you can maybe brood them outside with the MHP or at least move them out sooner.

I know exactly how you feel! I have an order of chicks coming in early May. I have 2 broody hens right now. I am hoping and praying they're still broody when the babies arrive! But, just like you, I'll have a back up brooder ready. Inside my house. In my livingroom. Ew.

I recommend that you just brood all of them yourself. You've handled them, you've fed them, they are "older" chicks. If she's not taking to them at first sight, then best keep them in and brood them yourself if you don't want any more losses.

Put the broody in a broody breaker and break her.

If you want this hen to brood chicks for you next time, then try with fertile hatching eggs, about 7 of them. Let her sit and actually hatch them out. If she successfully hatches and broods her "own" chicks, then well and good. If she's hatches and still rejects them, then don't use her for a broody ever again.

Just My 2¢
That is excellent advice and I appreciate your reply. I have never even considered actually getting eggs, it seems like something for the pros. But maybe I just will next time!
As far as these chicks go, I kept them inside for the rest of the day and she didn’t return to the nest. By dusk she was up on the roost with everybody else. So that settles that.
Thanks again!

Thought I'd add that part of my problem was not just that broody Poppy didn't want the babies, but also that, as the babies got older and older each time I tried, they didn't seem to want the broody, either.
Exactly! Two of these chicks are bantam Mille Fleur about 5 days old, while the others are all 2 or 4 days old. I thought the tiny ones wouldn’t stand out but she noticed. She seemed to accept the youngest chicks who most resembled her. Trouble started when I pushed her to take more. Lesson learned!

And oof on the living room brooder. Fingers crossed for you that your broodies stay broody and love those babies!

Sounds like she's done then and you won't have to go through breaking her which is good.

If you have sheltered and secured space outside, consider brooding the chicks there. Less dust, less mess in the house and they are more acclimated to being outside. Use a brooder plate or mama heating pad cave for heat, the chicks will have a natural sleep/wake cycle and you won't have to "wean them" off light either.

Hi All - I know this is an old post but I was about to post almost this exact thing this morning and came across this thread. My broody is a very mean hen - she just goes around being mean, so I was sure she would attack the chicks I got via mail yesterday when I attempted to tuck them under her. She did not! But she just sat there looking completely confused like "what the freak are those and why are they here?!" and she let them sit under her wings but didn't do anything to respond to the newbs. At one point two of them crawled out from under her and went to explore the coop and she didn't even react. I put them under her a bunch more times but they kept voyaging out on their own and I started getting worried about the other two if she wasn't feeling maternal with the bold ones. So when I went to take them back out she still had no response. I put the two quiet ones in the brooder with water cuz they seemed a bit on the weaker side but I stuck the feisty ones back under her one more time. Pretty soon she got up and went to another nesting box. Left them in hers. I put them in the outdoor brooder I set up overnight and they seem to be liking it, seem strong today - should I try again? Or just let things stay as they are?

Hi All - I know this is an old post but I was about to post almost this exact thing this morning and came across this thread. My broody is a very mean hen - she just goes around being mean, so I was sure she would attack the chicks I got via mail yesterday when I attempted to tuck them under her. She did not! But she just sat there looking completely confused like "what the freak are those and why are they here?!" and she let them sit under her wings but didn't do anything to respond to the newbs. At one point two of them crawled out from under her and went to explore the coop and she didn't even react. I put them under her a bunch more times but they kept voyaging out on their own and I started getting worried about the other two if she wasn't feeling maternal with the bold ones. So when I went to take them back out she still had no response. I put the two quiet ones in the brooder with water cuz they seemed a bit on the weaker side but I stuck the feisty ones back under her one more time. Pretty soon she got up and went to another nesting box. Left them in hers. I put them in the outdoor brooder I set up overnight and they seem to be liking it, seem strong today - should I try again? Or just let things stay as they are?
Though some broodies will adopt chicks on sight during daylight, best chances for sucess are to Always to place chicks with a broody at night. That gives mom and chicks the entire night to get used to the feel of each other, and to bond. When a broody hatches her own chicks, she usually doesn't leave the nest box for at least 24 hours. You want to simulate that time for as long as possible. Also, because a broody's instinct is to give her own hatched chicks time to recover from exertion used from hatching, she often won't come out of her nest with the feed store chicks the next morn. After all, her own hatched chicks wouldn't need to eat and drink yet, but feedstore chicks do! I remedy this by placing food and water near the nest box so the chicks can come out to eat and drink while their new mom watches them, hopefully with acceptance and adoration.

If you want to do so, it's worth one more try to see if your broody will accept the feedstore chicks. In pitch black darkness except for a dim flashlight so You can see, place a chick behind her and under her tail. The chick will immediately go underneath her for warmth. Observe your broody's reactions. If she remains still and quiet, add more chicks until they have all gone beneath her for the night. You should see her shift her body a little as she feels the presence of the chicks beneath her, but she should otherwise not react at all. Well, other than if she softly clucks to the chicks, which is a very promising sign. Observe for as long as you wish tonight, but definitely get up before dawn tomorrow and observe your broody's reactions as she sees the chicks for the first time. You will know almost immeiiately if she chooses to accept the chicks or not. Since she has already seen and rejected them once, she well may again, but if her broody hormones remain in full-force, hopefully she will accept them. Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes. Every broody and chicks situation is unique, and always educational. Good luck and I hope by tomorrow morn you have a new little chicken family!

Back
Top Bottom