Help with Guineas

okiechick57

Crowing
14 Years
May 22, 2007
Just outside Okc Oklahoma
I want to purchase some Guineas.....is there something's I should know...... can I put them in with my chickens/roo?babies? I have one babie now that is a RIR , seperated from the roo and hens now........only have one coop....so was wondering if I could add them or not? Thank all. I could read on this site everyday and not catch up...

Hi there, the one good reason not to put them together with your chicks...they need to be fed gamebird starter. chicks use chick starter. Difference being one is medicated and had less protein (chick starter). You could use the chick starter for one or two days but honestly, you should just use the game bird starter or turkey starter for your keets.
Best place for all your questions on guineas:
http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/diet/

It is my opinion that having guineas is not such a great idea for a beginner. I too used to be fascinated by the thought of guineas,for one thing they are not chickens and don't act as such. They are extremely NOISY and generally travel together. They like to wander and roost outside. It takes alot of work to tame them, by this I mean you probably won't find them wanting to sit on your lap readily. Most won't sit on their own eggs. Maybe I am all wrong about them. These things are just what I read and heard. Like all animals one should read about the animal before getting one and ask yourself am I willing to do this. There are alot of animals out there I would love to have but they don't suit my personality.

Hotwings is right. But if you want them to take care of all the ticks and bad weed seeds on your place and don't mind the noise ( I happen to like hearing them)then by all means go for it. They are like Hotwings said, not for everyone. Yes, read up on them first by all means. I use my australorp to hatch guinea eggs. My guinea mostly roosts with the chickens but there are nights they just prefer being in the trees.

My experience (4 years with guineas) has actually been wonderful with our guineas(We had five, now down to three thanks to a school bus, but will be getting more)!!!
love.gif
Yes they make noise, but if your neighbors don't mind, it becomes normal and not annoying (we love their songs and alarms). I say raise the keets with your chicks. Our guineas do stick together somewhat, but they stay around the chickens as a group. One guinea hen actually prefers to hang out just with the chickens and roost only with them. The others roost in the chicken coop as well. The only time they stay outside of the coop is if something differnt is happening outside. Like us camping in our field or a critter is lurking (which is actually helpful for them to roost outside at that point, they keep the critters away with their alarms!). We never fed our guineas game bird anything, this may not be right but they have never had problems. Gardening with Guineas is an excellent book of information about any guinea questions. We love guineas and recommend them to everyone that has the room for them to wonder!
Amy J.

Amy, that is so good to know about not having to use gamebird starter. everyone told me that they would die if they didn't have the higher protein starter. I bow to actual experience over a book any day. thanks for the info.

What would they do outside with a mama? We give them lots of bugs from the start, that is a huge amount of protein and what they prefer. Even if you have to buy some bugs (crickets and meal worms). And lots of folks let their hens hatch and raise their guinea keets, they eat the same as the chicks! They do find more bugs and will turn their beaks up at scrap food and grains a lot of the time. So yes they should get more protein but there are ways to do that so they can be raised with the chicks.
Amy J.

big_smile.png
Thank you all:hugs............ I have researched and talked with owners of Guineas......going to pick up 5 , 7 week old keets and start there.I have a place to feed them seperate than the others.so I will do both suggestions..... I love this site.so many helpful people......Will post pics soon........just picked up 2 barred rock and 1 RIR today too......sooooo addicting..
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
I appreciate you sharing ..I have decided to try 4 of them.......we will see. Neighbors and noise are not a problem....... the neighbors noisy dogs keep anything else from being heard around me.........alot of space between the properties........ wish me luck......... gotta try it.just love the way they are.......I did alot of research and talking to Guinea owners and feel confident enough to at least try it....... thanks for all advice everyone........here I go.........pics soon to come

Back
Top Bottom