Help with gurgle sounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheFlatLander, Jun 18, 2016.

1. TheFlatLander

TheFlatLander New Egg

Nov 1, 2015
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hi all. I have a small flock consisting of 5 hens and 1 rooster. One of my hens has had gurgle sounds the past 3 weeks. She eats and drinks well, is active, has no discharge from the nostrils and her eyes are clear.

I've treated with injectable Tylan 50 in the breast for 5 days at .5 cc for 2 days and then increased dosage to 1 cc for 3 days. I saw no improvement. (I did miss one day at day 3 due to weather).

I next tried VetRx for 2 days and the gurgles improved but returned a day later. I gave the VetRx orally and on her head / under wings.

Should I continue the VetRx or start the Tylan again? Should I try anything else? All other birds seem fine. I've had my birds for 6 months and they've never been wormed since I haven't seen any signs and they regularly get ACV in their water while free ranging.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It's most like a respiratory illness which antibiotics will generally not help (antibiotics will help with any secondary infections caused by illness like nasal/eye infections, etc.),

Provide her with some poultry vitamins in her water. I personally would not retreat with antibiotics since they were not effective, the VetRx would be ok, especially if it seemed to help.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. TheFlatLander

TheFlatLander New Egg

Nov 1, 2015
    Jacksonville, FL

Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back!

4. TheFlatLander

TheFlatLander New Egg

Nov 1, 2015
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well I followed up with poultry vitamins and the gurgles went away for 3 days. Then yesterday they returned so I gave her VetRx. Today she is worse but eating, running around and has no outward sign of illness. Just gurgles. It's been very hot and 9 acres next to me have been under a control burn for the past several days so it's pretty smokey. Any suggestions other than a run to the vet?

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you can take her to a vet that may be your best bet.
    The hot weather and controlled burn, I'm sure is not helping.
    Just a thought, any way you can run a fan to help circulate air, hopefully keeping the smoke away/moving in the opposite direction?

Try to push fluids/keep them hydrated (I know you are [​IMG]), other than that I just don't know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by