HELP with hatched chick - rough hatch!!!

laceyyates

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2016
Concerned about one chick. I kept eggs (at lock down) in an egg carton and let them hatch that way. I had problems with one, my humidity got to about 60% by 5 am when I checked hatch. The little chick hatched but the membrane I think got a little dry? He was kind of hanging by his little naval area, still attached to egg. I helped him out. His naval is pretty red and swollen. His one wing is also kind of molded to his body by dried gunk. It's been 6 hours and he still hasn't really found his "chick legs". He keeps throwing himself backwards. Anyone with experience care to help me or give advice? I have no idea what to do or how to keep from hurting him...if he isn't already?

I may not have the heart for hatching...this is tough to watch. The others have been successful!

Congrats on your hatched chicks!

I had a guinea hatch exactly like that at too low of humidity. I boosted the humidity and left him in there for a while, til he worked most of it out. I also massaged its legs a little to help stretch them out after being cramped and dry for so long. Maybe put vaseline or salve on his rear? Is it bloody at all?

Last edited:
It's not bloody, just very red and inflamed where he detached from egg. I'm most worried about how he can't stand up? He spends most of his time on his back flailing around. I will try to boost humidity as much as I can as I still have 2 eggs waiting to hatch. Thank you!

Poor baby! If he is no longer in the incubator, make sure he has something stable under his feet like paper towels. Newspaper is too slippery and can cause damage to its little legs.

My pleasure :) Best of luck to you

If he's having trouble standing up, make him a donut. You can roll up a small wash cloth, or thin baby blanket or towel. This can support his body while he gets his leg strength up. It works for heritage turkey's that fall on their back, so I don't see why you couldn't use the same technique to help your poor chick. If you're worried about dried gunk, dawn soap or baby shampoo and keep him warm as you dry him. (You can always stick him in your bra/shirt after a bath to warm him back up, too.)

If he's having trouble standing up, make him a donut. You can roll up a small wash cloth, or thin baby blanket or towel. This can support his body while he gets his leg strength up. It works for heritage turkey's that fall on their back, so I don't see why you couldn't use the same technique to help your poor chick. If you're worried about dried gunk, dawn soap or baby shampoo and keep him warm as you dry him. (You can always stick him in your bra/shirt after a bath to warm him back up, too.)
I just want to thank you so much! THIS WORKED! Turns out, my last resort was to give him a bath. Never though I would be giving a baby chic a bath, but...I really think it saved his life! His wing was plastered to his body in egg gunk. I think it was making him so off centered he just couldn't stand. Now that he has both wings, he is able to kind of sit on his bum. Has not fallen backwards yet! YEA! Such a huge improvement. Totally putting this in my hatching journal as a "just in case". Thank you again!!!

Back
Top Bottom