Help with hatching disaster

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thegoatpacker, Oct 18, 2013.

1. thegoatpacker

thegoatpacker Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Had 20 quail hatch in my Farm Innovations forced air incubator. Moved them immediately to a Hova-Bator still air bator-higher sides and little critters don't scatter out onto the table when opened. The temp in the Hova-Bator was exactly the same as the other one. A couple of hours all but 3 were dead. Looked like they never even dried off before dying. This is not my first time hatching quail chicks. Any idea as to what happened would be greatly appreciated.

2. flg8r

flg8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    You moved them after they hatched but before they dried?

3. thegoatpacker

thegoatpacker Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Yea, they were still wet when I moved them. Big mistake, huh?

4. jsdobson

jsdobson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Gray GA
    Did you check temp of 2nd incubator before the move. I've had to move wet birds to didn't have any problem I don't really recommend it but if brooder or inc. are the right temp shouldn't have a mass loss. Always preheat brooder and incubators at least 24 hours and check temps. Sorry about the hatch.

5. whitey61

whitey61 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    san diego ca
    why move them ? let them dry out first . If you are worried about them hopping out - which they do lol do what I do I have 75 of them in a little giant incubator . 70 hatched I just take the incubator put it on the bed ,put pillows all around then open it and start grabbing lol have not lost one yet ------ good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    You can also put it in the bathtub being sure to block the drain. they are sure fast little buggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by