Help with hatching ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lazys, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Lazys

Lazys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    I posted this last night in the incubator forum and no one helped me... maybe here someone will give me some ideas. It will b 30 days at noon today and overnight no one else has hatched I am worried about the ones that are pipped but still not hatched.
    Today is day 29 of a batch of what started out to be 47 runner duck eggs, I threw away 16 that were clear a week ago. there was definite growth and movement on day 18. I have one of the faux Janol inccbators that I just found out a coupe of days ago has been running lower temps than it says (I bought a hygrometer and put it in the incubator on lock down day when I got it). the temp has prob been a consistant 97-98 the whole time. I had some low humidity problems and not sure how good it was covered when I had to be gone for 7 days. anyway today one duck hatched..... I know I am not supposed to mess with the eggs now but Idid check them out on lock down as I was moving them out of the turner and fhere were still several that were moving. How likely am I to get more than one duck to hatch? and how long should I leave this duck in the incubator? I hate to put it by it'self in a box with heat lamp, but wondered if it would dry out in the incubator and get too hot. does it need water to drink...

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. madamiec

madamiec Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Roann, Indiana
    Lots of issues with this one...but try not to panic! Runner ducks typically take a bit longer to hatch for me by a day or two. Now add the fact that you know that you have been running low temps and that can add a day or two without great harm to the duck but more anxiousness for you. If the birds pipped and you can gently pick the egg up and listen...hear picking? You should hear some picking at the shell and even some muffled chirping. The duck that hatched today will be fine in the incubator for a couple days but if you took it out that's okay too. If you just got the first duckling today then I wouldn't be so concerned with the others. Was the baby pretty wet when it hatched or did it fluff up quickly? I would go ahead and open up the incubator and see if you hear some good things going on. If you can't contain yourself (nothing worse than "helping" and killing babies that just needed another day) then I would flick the pipped shell piece off and watch for wiggles. I hope they all hatch! I try to wait 3 DAYS after pip as long as I still see a wiggle or hear picking.

1 person likes this.
  4. madamiec

madamiec Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Roann, Indiana
    ...and remember that they have 3 days after absorbing the yolk until they need water and food...if you "help" they may not have even absorbed it yet because that is the VERY LAST thing going on...after pipping they are breathing outside air

1 person likes this.
  5. Lazys

Lazys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    No more have hatched, but there are some pipped.... I picked one piece of shell off today one of them and I could see movement. I hear them churping. I candled today and I see movement still in them. Tomorrow will be the second day after the one hatched. I have tried to work on keeping the humidity up as the membrane looks dry, so not sure they will be ableto breathe....
    I am very worried..... but will try to be patient another day.
    I did take the duck out and he is in a box with eat lamp in a dog crate. he is actually happy acting to be out of the dark incubator...

oh and the duckling really dried an fluffed quickly.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  6. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    What's happening right now?

7. Lazys

Lazys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    today there are 7 fully hatched and one more that is pipped and opening.

I dont' see movement in the other eggs but I will give them 4-5 more days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by