Help with hatching eggs day 21 and peeped on side of egg

candybeers2011

Chirping
Nov 3, 2022
I have 5 silkie eggs and 4 of them made their first peeps on day 20, but not where I marked the airsac. One is on the side of the egg and one is om the narrow end of the egg. I can hear chirping and it's been about 12 hours since one of them first peeped their egg on the narrow end of the egg but no more progress I can see and one of them peeped through on the side of the egg and I think that's the one chirping and it's been about 9 hours since that one made its first peep on its egg. Do I need to help these chicks get out or should I wait longer? All of them had saddled airsacs and I they were shipped to me.

Thank you for your quick reply and advice. It's my first time incubating chicken eggs so I'm very nervous. One of the eggs I can actually see the chick trying to peck more from the hole it's already made on the long side of the egg and its chirping off and on. This one first peeped around 8 hours ago so I guess its doing okay even though it's not peeped where I marked the airsac. Since I can see the chick moving parts of the cracked shell dies that mean it can breath even though it failed to peep at the airsac? I know it's early in the hatching process but I'm so worried that it didn't peep in the airsac and worried it could suffocate. I guess since it's pushed through a good hole and I can see and it pushing at the cracked area that it can breath ok? I'll try to take some pics but my incubator is kinda difficult to see through clearly and I'm afraid to open the incubator since I've read so much about thar being bad to do. Oh this is nerve wracking.

Thank you for your quick reply and advice. It's my first time incubating chicken eggs so I'm very nervous. One of the eggs I can actually see the chick trying to peck more from the hole it's already made on the long side of the egg and its chirping off and on. This one first peeped around 8 hours ago so I guess its doing okay even though it's not peeped where I marked the airsac. Since I can see the chick moving parts of the cracked shell dies that mean it can breath even though it failed to peep at the airsac? I know it's early in the hatching process but I'm so worried that it didn't peep in the airsac and worried it could suffocate. I guess since it's pushed through a good hole and I can see and it pushing at the cracked area that it can breath ok? I'll try to take some pics but my incubator is kinda difficult to see through clearly and I'm afraid to open the incubator since I've read so much about thar being bad to do. Oh this is nerve wracking.
If it's pipped through the shell then he is getting enough oxygen to breath. By the sound of it, they've started to zip and should be out soon. Hang in there! :hugs

As long as you keep the humidity stable, it's ok to open the incubator for a few seconds.

If it's pipped through the shell then he is getting enough oxygen to breath. By the sound of it, they've started to zip and should be out soon. Hang in there! :hugs

As long as you keep the humidity stable, it's ok to open the incubator for a few seconds.

Oh good thank you so much! It's hard to get good pics but here's a few I just took through the hazy incubator. I'll try to open it briefly to get better quality pics in a minute and make sure the humidity stays up as I do that.

Attachments

• 20221103_075600.jpg
    20221103_075600.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221103_075552.jpg
    20221103_075552.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221103_075547.jpg
    20221103_075547.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 8
Oh good thank you so much! It's hard to get good pics but here's a few I just took through the hazy incubator. I'll try to open it briefly to get better quality pics in a minute and make sure the humidity stays up as I do that.
I can see the ones you are concerned about. The very pointed egg may take a little longer to hatch but it should be able to on its own. The egg pipped in the middle is probably malpositioned (turned away from the air cell looks like), but he should hatch fine too.

I briefly opened the incubator and took some better pics. I can even see the little guys moving from the little holes they've made and they are chirping. I can see the membrane which I hope is looking the way it should at this point. It's a whitish color. I think I can actually see the yelling color of the chick which is so exciting. The pics I'm attaching here are of 2 different eggs but both are moving amd chirping. One of them has made more progress while the other is just now getting through the membrane some.

Attachments

• 20221103_080721.jpg
    20221103_080721.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221103_080748.jpg
    20221103_080748.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221103_080827.jpg
    20221103_080827.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221103_081027.jpg
    20221103_081027.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 8
I meant yellowish color lol. These are supposed to be white silkies so I think I can see the light yellowish color of the chick already. So cool. Thank you for your help. It eases my nerves. My 8 year old son is hoping to come home from school to see a baby chick or more. 🙏 He got to see the first pips and hear them chirping so he's totally amazed.

I meant yellowish color lol. These are supposed to be white silkies so I think I can see the light yellowish color of the chick already. So cool. Thank you for your help. It eases my nerves. My 8 year old son is hoping to come home from school to see a baby chick or more. 🙏 He got to see the first pips and hear them chirping so he's totally amazed.
How eggciting! I'd expect the chicks to hatch in the next few hours.

Back
Top Bottom