help with hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickadde, Apr 11, 2011.

1. chickadde

chickadde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    I have a hen that has been brooding for 18 days on four eggs. She has two other hens in there with her as well as a rooster. Should I let them be hatched in the nest with her or take the eggs and put them in the house and let them finish in the warmer i have put together for when they hatch. I'm just afraid its not warm enough for them out in the hen house. Also dont know how the ohter chickens and rooster will act towards the new baby chicks.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Welcome to BYC Chickadde. Ive never had a broody hen hatch out eggs- but plenty of ducks and geese. I would always make sure the mother has an area of her own while hatching. I do know I can trust some of my ducks around babies- but I would never take chances with the others. Can you at least put a little fence or barrier around her ? The eggs may have a better chance of hatching under her if she is sitting well - moving them now into an area that may dry them out or not be warm enough could prevent some from hatching. Did you consider moving her into a warmer area to raise her own chicks once they are hatched?

3. chickadde

chickadde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks for the advise. I did section off the hen house and put a divider between her and the other chickens. I did this two nights a go and she took to laying on the four eggs right away after I moved her. She seems to be doing great. I did however put a 250 watt bulb over her area its not keeping too warm but she is providing lots of heat from herself for the eggs. Today is day 20 and I cant see them and don't know if I would bother her by checking them out. I would love to see if there is movement or cracking of the shell. Can hardly wait. Do you think I should get her to move so I can see them or just let her be? She is a very kind chicken I might add!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by