Help with head injury on a day old chick

Barnyard

Addicted to Quack
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Well, mama hen hatched 5 chicks outside yesterday...today she has decided it is time for them to explore the yard. I found one of the chicks upside down on its back, when I picked it up I noticed that the top of the scalp had been peeled back some how. I don't know if one of the older chickens pecked at it or if he may have gotten stepped on by my mini horse
sad.png
The chick is still very much alive, so I brought it inside and cleaned it up the best I could with warm water and put antibiotic ointment on its head, placing the skin back in place the best I could. I gave it a few drops of polyvisol and it is resting under the heat lamp. Is there anything else I should do? I think it is to little for antibiotics in the water, right? What about something for pain? I know the little guy is hurting, but I am not sure if I can give aspirin? Thanks for any help..

Last edited:
I'd put a butterfly suture bandage on the injury, to keep the skin in place. (The drugstore should have these). I'd perhaps not give aspirin, as it can cause bleeding. Put non-pain relief formula neosporin on the wound prior to bandaging, and perhaps antibiotics in the water. I'd also bring in another chick to keep in the brooder with the injured one, but choose a passive chick who won't peck at the injury. I think you'll need to keep the poor chick inside until the injury heals thoroughly, else the others will peck at it and make it all much worse.

Aloha, dear. This isn't what you want to hear, but you should put the little one down. I have been raising hens for 30 years. It will now have to heal, growth will be diverted, it will be smaller and probably pecked by siblings. The hen may not take it back. If you want to make it a pet separate from chicken life, you can definitely save it. And now, there is very little you can do for pain. It is past shock and will probably live. But the cost is high. Down the road life will be tough and it may die a much uglier death than the gentle, quick one you can give it. The little things are so fragile. I have had day olds stepped on and disemboweled by the mother (by accident of course). I have had mothers abandon a weak, small, or last-hatched baby. It is our natural instinct to give and preserve life. But in the real world not everyone or everything gets a good chance. Give this one peace and free it from pain and concentrate on all the little new ones doing well. You are obviously a very loving, kind person. And I think, with all my years of observing, the little chick knows this and is grateful and trusts you will do right by it. Good luck. ps--it is okay to cry. i often do.

mccabe again. aloha. i totally agree with outofthebrooder. if you want to save it, definitely add antibiotics and an ointment (or aloe vera) and a covering. but all chicks are drawn to the color of blood and will peck a sibling. even passive ones. it need quiet. no jostling, pecking, getting stepped on. i would keep it isolated. probably for all of its life. it CAN be saved. you must decide what is best for the baby.

Thanks for the opinions.... I do plan on saving this little guy if possible. I have chicks hatching as we speak so I will just put him in with them. He is doing ok, for now. In a quiet warm brooder, by himself, but right beside another brooder where he can see the others. I am not above having a "special needs" chick/chicken
smile.png
I have antibiotics that I can start, but I think I will just wait and see how tonight goes. I will clean the wound again before bed and make sure he is comfortable. Thanks again guys
love.gif

Give it some electrolytes and keep it warm. Chickens heal amazingly well, save that little one if you can. You never know- it could end up being one of your best hens
thumbsup.gif

Well, I just read thread for the first time, I wasn't here when it started. But now that I read through it I wanted to post anyways.

I am so sorry your poor baby didn't make it!!!!! That is so rough!!!
hit.gif

I know it must be very hard, but good on you for trying to save him anyway. I hope you feel better soon!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom