Help with humidity question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cthrash1, Jun 11, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I have 4 chicks due to hatch tomorrow but can't get the humidity above 58%...Stays around 56-57. I have troughs full but one, I can't get the water to it through the little holes in the bator. I have a wet washcloth and a small 2oz cup of water. Still won't go up. Will this be moist enough for the chicks to hatch? I already have one pipped(don't know how long it's been this way)came in about 2 hrs ago and was already pipped. I would hate to lose them after waiting this long. These were the only 4 left developing from a batch of 12 I recieved in the mail.[​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If they have already started pipping I wouldn't open the bator anymore to try to get the humidity up more...it sometimes hurts the hatch opening the bator too much after pips...60 to 70% range is what I use the last 3 days ...if you have a childrens vaporizer you could add that close to your bator to help with humidity....58 % isn't all that bad ....

Is there anyway to use an eye dropper or straw to add water into the bator from the little holes?...try that...

3. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Couldn't find a straw so found a Bic pen removed the casing and washed in hot water...Used it to funnel water into the other trough...Now humidity is at 66%

4. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Great ingenuity! Bic pen...great idea.

5. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    LOL...Desparation was setting in had to do something...Hubby was laughing at me the whole time. He's thinks I'm crazy anyway doting all the time on the other chicks I have from 3wks to 3 months so far. Just bought fencing today for the 5 wk olds, they are starting to sit on the edge of the box in the basement and there is poop all around it on the floor...Good thing it's not carpeted yet. May just sneak them in with the 3 month olds house one dark night and hope they survive it.

6. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I have a few outside- three- that are a couple months old (more like 2 and 3 months old)...and I had seven three week old chicks that were picking on the others (the future roos?) so I took them all out to the coop one night and put them in.

My bigger ones still chase them a little, and peck at them if they get too close- but for the most part, they are fine. The seven stay together, on opposite sides of the yard during the day- occasionally cross paths with the bigger ones (babies run)...but at night, they all go into the coop on their own.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by