1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with Identify these worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pwand, Jan 26, 2013.

1. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    My hen has had diahrea for about four days, very watery and green. I noticed her having problems with her head going back and forth. It was suggested that my hen may be adjusting her crop. I just got these hens as 19 week old ready to lay. I put hay down instead of straw and they were eating it, never thought maybe it could cause problems. So I thought maybe it was from that. I since replaced it with straw. I realized that her crop was not emptying over night. So I have been trying to help her with that.

I noticed in her poop looks almost like a piece flesh color. I'm pretty sure its not her shedding her intestines. I haven't seen this before. I tried pulling it apart and looked like a tiny worm inside. I decided today to de-worm all the hens. She is now passing very tiny worms. She has been very active and tonight she is fluffed up and not feeling well. I would think this probably would make them feel very good. She would eat her boiled egg yolk with yogurt tonight. She did earlier.

The worms are no bigger then the width of a thumb, about 7mm or half and inch long and skinny and a bit red. I have treated her with "Piperazine Dihyrochloride 53%" That is the only treatment I can get her from the feed store. Here is a picture. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What kind of horse and/or cattle wormers can you get?

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I'm not sure what I can get for cattle or horse wormer, i will call and see. I seen the chart, the picture for capillara isn't good, I was wondering if that might be it. Tried searching the Internet as well. Round worm seems more common for chickens. These are so small until she passes more, I may have a better idea.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They appear to be cecal worms. I recommend Valbazen (albendazole) or Safeguard/Panacur (fenbendazole) to kill them. Piperazine wont kill them.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Ditto

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I can get Safeguard. Should I wait a few days were as I already treated her. She is dealing with sour crop and after yesterday's worming, she is fluffed up not feeling good.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you treat her with safeguard immediately.

9. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Ok, thanks for your help.

10. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Do you know how much of the safe-guard I'm to give my hen. I bought the paste 10%. 100mg/g.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by