Help with identifying a Corturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by calgaryflames, Oct 15, 2011.

1. calgaryflames

calgaryflames New Egg

Sep 24, 2011
    Hey everyone,

A few days ago I hatched 20 Corturnix eggs. The lady I got them from only had the wild color ones. Out of the 20 that hatched two of them came out yellow. One is 100% yellow and the other one is all yellow with one brown spot right on its head(pics). Just curious on how this happened when she only had the wild colors. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

the one that is yellow with the little brown spot is a Texas A&M

3. calgaryflames

calgaryflames New Egg

Sep 24, 2011
    Quote:ok thanks, just dont understand how that happened when I didnt think she had any Texas A&M. Maybe she did and I didnt see them!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    This has been covered numerous times on this forum, a simple search would answer your question for you [​IMG]

Both the babies are 'white', it's impossible to say at this point whether they are English White or Texas A&M, but due to the fact that true A&M are rare, they are most likely English White.

The genes that make an English White white are recessive, meaning that the chick needs to get it from both parents for it to look white. So apparently, even though your breeder has no white birds, some of her birds carry white.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Both English White and Texas A&M can have spots on their heads. The only difference is their size.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  6. thekid

Quote:Do you know anyone who has the true A&M?

7. calgaryflames

calgaryflames New Egg

Sep 24, 2011
    yeah im not new to the game and figured that might be it, but i didnt know because she didnt have any other birds other than the wild color so i figured posting a question wouldnt hurt....and you say white spots on the heads, how is a brown spot going to be white? mine do not have white spots on the head, it has a brown spot.

8. thekid

I never said it had a white spot.

9. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:I think the "white spot" might just be an oops, and Shelley meant brown. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  10. calgaryflames

calgaryflames New Egg

Sep 24, 2011
    Quote:i wasnt talking about what you wrote [​IMG] im assuming shelly meant brown. thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by