Help with identifying breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yashlier, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Yashlier

Yashlier Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    Carlisle Pa
    I'm very new to chickens and decided I wanted some dual purpose birds as well as a few others that my husband and kids like, so when I found an ad on craigslist a week or so ago I was thrilled to see they were selling barred rock and leghorns (light brown and white). We drove almost 2 hours to pick them up and now I'm starting to think we didnt get what we were supposed to.
    So Im asking you guys what do you think my chicks are? In the pics there are the 7 we bought which are supposed to be 2 barred rock( the big one and the mostly black one), 4 brown leghorn, 1 white leg horn( who has brown feathers). Also pictured are 6 younger barred rock and 6 EEs that came from someone else.

Also if genders can be identified at this age please help me out with that too :)

In this pic is my "barred rock" and "white leghorn" sitting together

[​IMG]

Here is part of the group, the black chick next to the feeder is the other 'barred rock''
    [​IMG]
    another pic of the group the two "Barred rocks" are next to each other
    [​IMG]

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    looks like you got what you were told. keep in mind the leghorns will have really big combs even the girls, unless you got the rose comb type.

3. Yashlier

Jul 31, 2012
    Carlisle Pa
    Thank you for replying, I always thought white leghorns are supposed to be white, which is why I questioned them all after I started to read about sex links.

4. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    sorry missed the one in the 1st photo, that one could just be a cross of different leghorns.

5. Yashlier

Jul 31, 2012
    Carlisle Pa
    thank you for your help, BorneHomestead! I found the right place to post my question about the breeds. Apparently im blind because i didn't see it before lol. So im going to delete this post if i can figure out how too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by