Help with identifying my chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by zeroxx7, Nov 24, 2013.

1. zeroxx7

zeroxx7 New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    I just purchased 6 chickens and was told three were Rhode Island Reds and three were Barred Plymouth Rocks. One of my RIR aren't pictured but she has a few white feathers on her tail, where the ones in the picture has black, and I was wondering if she is in fact a RIR, I'll post a pic of her tomorrow. The other two RIR are pictured and look legit to me, let me know what you all think. My next question is about the Rocks. Do they look legit? The one in the middle has kinda grey feet and some brown feathers on her wings and chest.
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Red layers w/white tail feathers are often some sort of red sex link, they are often RIR or NHR crosses, you may have what they usually call production reds, mixes of various red breeds bred to be good egg layers. The BR look like crosses also, the rooster has a lot more white than they normally have and they usually don't have the brown feathers and pale legs that the middle pullet does, does the one on the right have a single comb?

3. zeroxx7

zeroxx7 New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    Yes, she has a single comb

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The rooster and the barred hen in the middle are both mixes, they had one barred parent and one probably red parent. Can't really tell about the third barred hen.
    The red hens, from what I can see, are hatchery Rhode Island or generic red hatchery hens.

White in the tail feathers usually means a red sex link hen.

5. zeroxx7

zeroxx7 New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    I see.. Thank you for the information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by