help with identifying roosters, and breeds at 8 weeks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SEMulder, Oct 13, 2013.

1. SEMulder

SEMulder Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi,

My chicks are about 8 weeks old now, and I am wondering if I have a couple of roosters or more in the mix (bought pullet day old chicks). I'm also trying to identify the breeds, more now that they are all feathered out. I can't keep more than one rooster here in the city, so I need to figure out what I have.

I'd appreciate any help!

This was supposed to be either an Americauna or Easter Egger. She looks mixed to me.
    [​IMG]

The one on the left is the same as above. The middle Barred Rock (?) is of questionable gender. The second from the right is supposed to be a Wellsummer hen.
    [​IMG]

This also was supposed to be an Americauna/Easter Egger, and I'm wondering if it looks like a rooster. ?
    [​IMG]

I think these are Barred Rock, but does the one on the right look like a rooster?
    [​IMG]

Here again are the two I'm most suspicios about being roosters, the white one, and the barred Rock on the right side of the water dish.
    [​IMG]

Does this look like a Black Sex-link hen?
    [​IMG]

This is supposed to be a Wellsummer hen.
    [​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    They all look like mixed breeds.

3. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    The white Easter Egger is a rooster, and I think you're right about one of the barred rocks being a roo. All EE's are technically mixes. :] Pretty sure you're spot on with your chicks, except the black sex link, I'm not sure what is up with her/him. It doesnt look like a black sex link, so I doubt you can go by the color alone. I actually think it might be a 'something' rooster. He probably is a mixed breed like BantamFan4life mentioned.

4. SEMulder

Sep 7, 2013
    Thank you for your responses! The black/orangish possible 'sex-link' is from an assorted chick pullet group from Ideal Poultry, so I would think it would be a true breed. Hopefully as he/she gets bigger it will become more obvious!

The 'Americauna mixes' and Welsummers are from a local breeder.

I'm going to have to re-home roosters, so this isn't very encouraging. And the white one is one my kids' favorites. :-(

5. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

why dont you keep him and sell the barred rock roo?

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The barred rooish one isn't a pure barred rock. The barring is too irregular and if it is a roo, it's too dark overall to be a pure barred rock.

7. SEMulder

Sep 7, 2013
    I was wondering if the 'rooster' could be a Production Black - a mixed breed developed by Ideal Poultry?

http://www.idealpoultry.com/item.html

Since the barred ones and the blackish roo/pullet come from Ideal?

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It could be. I had one of those some years back. This is her as young pullet (around 14 weeks):

[​IMG]

And as a grown hen:

[​IMG]

9. SEMulder

Sep 7, 2013
    Thank you, PotterWatch, and all the others for their input. I guess we'll give them a few more weeks. Do people actually like to get just roosters? I'm wondering how I'll find homes for these... I'm new to having chickens in town!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by