1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with Identity of this Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by No L, Feb 23, 2013.

1. No L

No L Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    I was able to rescue this fine young boy and he has been a delight. Just trying to figure out what breed he is.

[​IMG]

He is black and beautiful. Bottom left. He appears to be a black orpington however also appears to be a black cochin. He has feathers on feet. Not fully feather but does have feathers on feet. Any one willing to give me some information on this. I can also provide a photo if necessary.
    Thanks
    No L

2. No L

No L Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Here is another photo of him. Also notice the color. Very shiny black on the top and more of a blue towards the bottom. Any ideas, I dont know where black remains and blue starts. What about the white on the cheek?
    thanks
    [​IMG]

3. Tanith BHH

Tanith BHH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    Is he a bantam or large fowl? He's very pretty!

4. No L

No L Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    I do not believe that he is a bantam. However he is smaller than a Rhode Island red or smaller than a Wyandotte Rooster. Thanks for the reply

5. Tanith BHH

Tanith BHH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    I'm not sure then, he could be a mix of some sort. Very unusual colours. Wish I could help, sorry.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think he's got to be a mix. I don't think there's anything with white lobes and feathered legs that comes in blue? His body looks like maybe some Andalusian with something heavier, but I don't see Orpington there at all, or cochin either.

7. No L

No L Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    If you look at the first photo to the left, he had a clutch mate, a twin roo.
    I am not sure about being a mix, anything is possible; however the person from where they came from purchased them from the feed store that normally orders from the big poultry companies. It would have to be a common breed, such as Black Australorp, orpingtons, cochins etc. I will keep searching. Thanks

8. No L

No L Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    You know, after taking a good look at him and comparing him to the size of a 4 month old silver wyandotte; he must be a bantam. Has to be, cause, body wise he has the same mass as the Silver however shorter legs. He must be a banty. Definetly not the height nor mass of a bigger breed.

9. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Feathered legs, Pea comb, Bantam sise-Bantam Brahma. Mixed with Blue Andaluzian will add white earlobes and Blue color. That is the easiest cros which can produce him, but can be much more complicateg.
    There is not pure breed of chicken with his characteristiks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by