Help with incubation for a class project

Bantam Bodon

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Osceola Mills PA
I had some questions on how to hatch some chicks for a class room.

I'm not the teacher but it was already attempted and none of the 24 eggs hatched. Someone said they werent fertilized, they had been shipped to the teacher so that may have had something to do with it also.

I told the teacher that if she wants to try it again i can get some of my dad's eggs for her, i know they'll be fertilized at least because this spring the same chicken's eggs were incubated and they hatched. The problem is, he lives hours away and i don't know the first thing about hatching eggs in an incubator. If someone could answer a few questions or give me some tips it would really help us out and make a lot of 6th grade kids happy. They all were pretty upset after waiting 21 days to find out they didn't have any chicks.

Once an egg is laid how long before it has to get into the incubator?
Does an egg, once its laid, have to stay a certain temp? If so what is it?
Can an egg go several days before it gets into an incubator?
What is the best way to get a bunch of eggs hours away from its incubator to the incubator?

Any other suggestions or tips would help, thanks!

Once an egg is laid how long before it has to get into the incubator?

best not to wait over a week

Does an egg, once its laid, have to stay a certain temp? If so what is it?

room temp is best...some have success with ones from the fridge...I wouldn't
you need to rotate it once a day or so

Can an egg go several days before it gets into an incubator?

yup...no problem

What is the best way to get a bunch of eggs hours away from its incubator to the incubator?

I prefer driving in a truck to get them...a car will work (if it is cool looking) sorry...couldn't resist Just put them in an egg carton pointy end down...no big issue

Ok thanks, i plan to gather up the recently laid eggs and take them the same or next day to the teacher and her incubator, so i assume that should be ok as long as i keep them at a normal temp?

yup...just member pointy end down...really dirty ones tend to not hatch adn can spread nasties...overly washed ones can have issues as well...there have been great debates over this so I am now hiding

Good luck with the project.

If the incubator is still air it should be at about 102* and the eggs rotated each day, if it has a fan, forced air, it should be kept at 99.5*.

The eggs should be turned 3 times per day including weekends until day 18. Then stop turning.

The humidity can be kept below 50%, not lower than 35% until day 18 then increase to above 70%.

And the incubator shouldn't be opened too much, especially during the hatch phase days 18-21. The chicks can hatch early by a day or two, the teacher can hold the eggs before setting them for a few days if needed so that the hatch will occur during the week while the kids are at school.

The eggs can be candled after day 10 to see the embryo moving around. My kids loved that part!

Hope you have fun.

Humidity is a great debate. It really depends on the area (altitute) you live. I use 30 - 35% the first 18 days, then go up to 60 -65% for "lockdown." Lockdown is when you stop turning the eggs (or remove them from the egg turner), on day 18, and up the humidity, and wait, and wait, and wait >>>> until they hatch!
Good luck, and have fun!

Another important factor is the oxygen. Be sure all vents are open those last hatch days!

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's help. She has an automatic egg turner, im not sure how well those work. The kids don't know about this yet and were so disappointed the first time, they're going to be thrilled!

Back
Top Bottom