Help with incubator supplies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by laughingllama75, Feb 25, 2008.

1. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Hi, I'm new here.....I have been reading all I can but have not found an answer to this question. I have a couple good broody hens that usually set for me, but I got a Little Giant Still Air incubator. First time I ever used one.........and I am afraid to try it, LOL. I think I need an egg turner, and maybe a fan........but wher do I get an egg turner that is small enough for bantam eggs? I have tried a couple places but I guess I am not looking in the right spots. Any ideas? Sorry if I seem like I am rambling, I am not usually so vague, LOL:D
    thanks for your help,
    Alicia

2. jmike

jmike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2008
    Lindale, TX
    The egg turner that Little Giant sells will work for bantam eggs and you don't have to have a fan.
    If you don't have a turner you can turn by hand 2 or 3 times a day.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  3. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    so the standard egg turner will work? I guess that was too simple for me, lol. I don't think I can be around to consistantly turn them the 3 times the need.......[​IMG] I do work for myself, but weirdo hours (I do farm sitting/large animal care).
    Thanks for the info!

4. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

so the standard egg turner will work? I guess that was too simple for me, lol. I don't think I can be around to consistantly turn them the 3 times the need....... I do work for myself, but weirdo hours (I do farm sitting/large animal care).
    Thanks for the info

Yes the standard turner will work for both size chicken eggs. I have one in one of my LG's and I have a collection of Bantam and Standard size eggs in the turner. [​IMG]

Personally, I really do not like the LG's turner. The plastic cups can pop off and the eggs fall to the incubator floor. Would love to glue the egg cups into the holes but I am worried about the glue fumes.

I LOVE the turner that I have in the Hova Bator incubator! I wonder if it would fit in an LG?? [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatching!!! [​IMG]

5. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    [wooden_pony]
    I LOVE the turner that I have in the Hova Bator incubator! I wonder if it would fit in an LG?? [​IMG]

I just read a articale that said it would with a little working on the base of the LG. The guy said the combo was the best he found in hatchers. Now I am just saying what I read, I love my "1202".​

6. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Thanks everyone for thier replies.....I wonder if I should just return my LG (I only opened it to read instructions) and get one that has a turner already. I am going to look en Ebay and see what I can find....maybe I will get a hova bator too. My hubby would love that......he almost cried at the sight of the first one, LOL. [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I really do not like Little Giants. They are the lowest end of the bators you can buy.

Invest a little more money and get a Hova Bator , preferably the 1588 . Everything is preset and takes the guessing out of your temps. And it comes will a full window on top. They run about $115 from GQF (the manufacturer). The turners are about $42. Sometimes you can find the turners online at other places for a few dollars less but I prefer to buy directly from the manufacturer and not a middle man.

8. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Thanks for the info on the hova bator......I will go check it out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by