Help with incubator temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigbowes, Nov 14, 2010.

1. bigbowes

bigbowes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2010
    Roxboro
    My incubator is an older one, but it still works fine, but at night time when it gets cold outside, the temperature drops in it to about 92 degrees. i wish i could bring it inside but i cant. It is in my shed outside. Any suggestions on how to keep it at the right temp? Thanks

2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    don't know what to tell you about that, it needs to be inside where the temp stays some what the same, is it a Styrofoam type or what? you are not to far from me & its getting pretty cold at night thees last few days, its gonna be hard to control with the temp. dropping at night like it its.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Most incubators require to be in a stable room temperature environment to function properly.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    About the omly way is to rap the bator in an electric blanket. Then hope the temp doesn't get to high.

5. donjr721

donjr721 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    you might try a heat lamp shining on the incubator, put a thermometer on the incubator on the outside, get it to read 100 this should help a lot. check it at night when its cold. the radiant heat should't fluctuate too much. just an idea. it might work

6. bigbowes

Nov 13, 2010
    Roxboro
    ok i will try it and see it is an old sears and roebuck cabinet type incubator. i thought about trying to wrap it in something and see if it would help. i appreciate the help

7. bigbowes

Nov 13, 2010
    Roxboro
    Thanks everyone for the help. Used an electric blanket last night over my incubator and the temp held. Thanks so much!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by