Help with incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by natalie1136, Feb 17, 2009.

1. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    My hubby is building an incubator out of an old dishwasher. Does anyone know how to hook up the heating element. does any body know the wiring schematics on a double pronged heating element.

Thanks for any help you can give. Nataile

2. grundail01

grundail01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Dustin Acres
    that is an interesting idea of using a dishwasher, I'd love to know how it turns out.
    Alex

3. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Very interesting idea. I'll try to help as much as possible. The first step is to have an enclosed area to retain the heat. I am assuming that this part is covered. Second is to have a heat source. This too is covered. Third is to maintain a constant heat at 99.5 to 100.5 degrees and a humidity according to what you are hatching. This is where the problem comes in. He needs to control the temperature somehow so you don't end up with a bunch of boiled eggs for his lunchbox. The humidity part is easily done with water in a bowl or bowls and does need to be monitered by some sort of hygrometer. Please check on humidity levels for what you are hatching. LOL a dishwasher?.... An old refrigerator would have been my choice of appliance retrofit.

4. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    I'll keep you posted on the progress. He's stumped on the heating element. He's pretty inventive though. I'm sure he'll figure it out.

Nataile

5. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by