help with injured chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marvun22, Mar 1, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    here's the situation. a racoon got into my coop (i figured out how it got in and stopped that problem) it killed a duck and it attacked my buff orpington. there is a badly exposed area on the behind. i was going to cover it up around there except around the pooping hole so it can still poop and lay eggs. but i have 2 questions. first what should i cover it up with, and also is there anything i could use to stick it there that would be humane.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. rc chix

rc chix New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    In september, my boxer puppy got carried away with chasing my chickens, he injured 2 Aricannas and we nursed them back to health with hydrogine peroxide and had them in the house in a large fenced kennel. 1 had a neck wound similar to yours, and she didn't need anything to cover it up. Now she is all healed with all feathers grown back!

P.S., sorry about your duck!

3. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    I would clean it up with water and maybe antiseptic soap. Peroxide if you like.

Then spray it with blu-kote which aids in healing and makes the would less appealing for other chickens to peck since the area looks blue instead of red.

4. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    is there anything i could do to cover up the wound for now. that is humane and would stick and woudnt cover the poophole. it will be sleeping in my house tonight. and what type of soap should i use, just basic hand washing soap.

5. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    If its an open wound just use water.
    Use a mild antibacterial soap for surrounding area. I have antiseptic the vet gave me for a different reason but you can get antiseptic soap form the drug store.
    I would put the chicken in a box or kennel in the house to keep it out of trouble.

I've never tried to "bandage" a chicken. Maybe if you post a picture someone may have an idea for you.

6. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    the chicken is in a cattle water tank in the house. it has access to all types of food and water. i have pine shavings for bedding. i could try to post a picture of the wound.

7. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    this is ugly and might confirm that it will die soon but here goes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    that is her behind.

8. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    You might want to make an iodine rinse to flush the wound periodically. It will help kill bacteria and keep infection from building in the wound. Also I'd keep the wound open it'll heal better. You can get iodine from tractor supply or walmart. Just blend the iodine till it looks like strong tea and flush the wound two times a day once in the morning and once in the evening. Also you can use some cut-n-heal it works just as good as blu-kote but it doesn't stain and you'll be able to watch for infection. I'd keep the chicken in a warm quite place with plenty of food and water. Also I'd place him/her on some anti-biotic just incase. Best of luck! Usually chickens pull through some tough situations!

9. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    If it seems like it would help, you can try Super-Glueing her wounds closed & giving her injections of Penicillin to prevent infection. There are instructions on how to do both on the site in my sig.

I am so sorry your hen is hurting & I hope she will recover well [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  10. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    another problem is i'm not sure if she can poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by