1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Help: with intergrating chicken back into flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karen&mark, Jul 2, 2010.

1. karen&mark

karen&mark In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    My golden sex link was injured 10 days ago and I have had her inside in a portable cage to heal. trying to put her back into the henhouse. We have a total of 4 chickens. One of them, the more aggressive of the group keeps leaping at her so I have separated them again, but I don't have 2 coops. Does any one know of a way to get the aggressive one( petunia) to let Iris back in the group???

2. karen&mark

karen&mark In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    well, no one came to my rescue so I had to rescue myself!. Poor Iris was so traumatized at being pecked at after what she had been thru (attacked by a opossum that got in the henhouse) I had to act fast. The aggressive chicken is Petunia, she has always been the "alpha". So I hauled her fuzzy butt into the house and put her in the infirmary to cool her jets. Tomorrow I will return her to the flock and she will be the new kid back, and maybe the pecking order will have been disturbed enough to even things out. Rose and Daizy had no problem accepting little Iris back. I was surprised at Petunia as these are supposed to be the gentlest and easy going of breeds..but I guess there has to be a "boss". The three did well together last night. all roosted together. Everyone got treats this AM, even Petunia. Oh and the henhouse is so secure now, I can barely get in. Hubby says thats the last time another animal get a shot at our ladies! We live and learn. Love these girls. They make us smile so much!. Happy Fourth everyone!

3. henney penny

henney penny Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I think I would leave her out a few more days,I don`t think one day will make a lot of difference,but you could try it and see what happensz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by