Help with interpreting chicken behavior please.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akd23237, May 30, 2008.

1. akd23237

akd23237 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Every now and then when I feed my chickens (flock of 3) my rooster will spread out one wing down his side, and he'll use his other side to block the other chicken's path to the food. He'll sometimes do this while quickly flapping his stretched out wing at his side and circle the other chicken. Has anyone else seen this? Is this part of chicken pecking order? I'm not sure what it means...

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

He's not blocking them. It's what we call the "rooster dance" and that's his way of wooing his women! I suppose it's sort of like a pecking order... his way of saying, You're my lady. But he's not doing it to block them or be mean.

3. akd23237

akd23237 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Very interesting! One of the 3 chickens in the flock is less than 2 months old, and I saw the rooster do this to the chick. So this means that the chick is female, right? That's one thing I had been trying to guess at for a while...

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Not neccesarily. My roosters also dance toward one another, almost as a challenge. LOL. Instigating little things. Mostly they do it towards hens, but they also do it toward people. So I wouldn't assume the chick is female, but post a picture of her in What Breed or Gender section and see what everyone thinks.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by