Help with Introducing NEW chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OliviaDeHav, Jul 28, 2010.

1. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    I saw this question, but it was sort of diifferent, so i am posting. I have 3 six week olds and 4 three week olds. 2 days ago i put them all in the run together and they did great. Yesterday when we did this, things did not seem to go well. The older girls seemed possesive of the run....or at least they were not being very friendly to the smaller ones. We took the little ones back out (we stayed IN the run with all of them and didn't allow pecking). I understand the terrm "pecking order".... but they bigger ones kept going AT the little ones, flying at them, lording over them, and every once and a while, pecking at them (not like they do each other).
    I am concerned because in 3 weeks the smaller ones will be put in the coop with the older ones! I was thinking i should maybe take them all out in the yard to "free range" together to get to know each other and do this every day? I don't want the older ones attacking the small ones in 3 weeks and waking up to injured little ones. Any ideas?
    OH also, I am not sure of breeds, but they are suppose to be; 3 older ones are reds (of some sort), and the 4 younger ones are buff orps. My girl is Olivia and is the largest one of the little girls. She is so sweet!! Will come over and wants me to pick her up, carry her, pet her, she hangs out with me outside and knows her name when i call her. I would HATE to have anything happen to her [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Many people have said that a person should wait until the sizes of the birds is similar -- til the little ones catch up -- before putting them together for just this reason. No personal experience, just what I've read over and over from those in the know. In any case, maybe even a poor response will bump it up.

3. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Thanks... i appreciate that.... I HAVE to get my sunporch back! we had an unexpected double batch 3 weeks apart! i had no idea i'd lose my sun room/porch for most ALL summer! we just had it built and it is such a disaster and driving me crazy... plus dealing with the constant cleaning of the brooder (i have health issues which complicates things). I am looking forward to them being outside with the others.... of course i was not planning on doing this until the new ones were 6 weeks, that would put the others at 9 weeks. I wonder if that is close enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by