Help with introducing the young to the old

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jknox1982, Sep 1, 2014.

1. jknox1982

jknox1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Muscle Shoals AL
    I put my 3 month old EE in with my barred rocks and game hens this afternoon, and there has been feathers pulled and blood drawn is this normal. It is braking my heart that they have to go threw this.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If you haven't introduced them slowly (not sure where the new bird was before you put them together?) It is usually best to wait until the younger birds are the same size as the older ones and then to have a long period of the two flocks being able to see each other but no touching, through wire seem to work best, ie dividing the coop into two sections or keeping the new/younger ones in a cage inside the coup for a couple of weeks to a month at least. The chickens will get to know each other and sort of work out a pecking order before actually coming in contact with each other. After a week or two, letting them free range supervised together is a good idea and should help... It will take a couple of weeks to get the pecking order sorted out.
    If you did introduce them slowly, If the bullying is that bad, I would separate the new one again for now, you could try separating out the aggressive hens while introducing the new one or consider putting pinless peepers on the aggressive older hens for awhile, especially if it seems one or two are doing most of the bullying... There is a nice article in the Learning Center on integrating flocks you might like to check out, the part about actually combining them is after the quarantine section https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

3. jknox1982

jknox1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Muscle Shoals AL
    THANK YOU,
    I put the new ones in half the coop where the others lay their eggs its completely fenced off now and they seem to be ok just scared. I am afraid I waited too long to find out because they peeked him real bad. I put bluklot on him and am letting him rest. my barred rocks are 2 years old and cranky to say the least [​IMG]

Sometimes I hate being new at this, I want them to be happy and healthy not scared and bleeding
    Thanks
    Jenn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by