Help with itchy crest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quackers619, Sep 22, 2016.

1. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    I have a white crested duck with a deformed side crest and i must keep it shaved because she in blind in one eye and the crest covers her good eye. I think because it is shaved it gets itchy and she has itched it almost raw in one spot, so i know how to treat the irritation how ever i need any advise if there is anything i can use to keep it from becoming itchy?

2. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

I am no expert on this matter,but I know from experience that shaving causes skin irritation.
    Would it be possible to only cut the feathers with a pair of scissors so that the crest would be off but the skin unharmed?

3. quackers619

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    I wish i could. We did try just cutting it but it didn't work very well. Her crest is different then her sisters or any crest i have seen

4. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Try organic coconut oil.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Do you have any photos of the crest? I would be very cautious trying to shave that area because of the potential damage it could cause to such a vital organ.

6. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

How often do you need to shave off the feathers anyways? If the quills stay intact they should be replaced with the molt, right?

7. quackers619

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    we are very careful when we shave it.....we have been doing it for over a month with out us shaving it she could not follow the other ducks and she would just stand there she is doing super good she just has a little itchy spot and i am trying to see what i can do to help it from getting itchy[​IMG]

8. quackers619

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    we shave her every few days.........they are like a mix of tiny feather fuzz its weird nothing like her sister

9. quackers619

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    That's a good idea that is what i use on my dogs skin when it gets dry and itchy

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by