Help with Khaki eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ghostco, Nov 25, 2014.

1. ghostco

ghostco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2014
    Hi there,
    Our khaki has been diligently sitting on her eggs for the last couple of weeks, but now is starting to stray from her nest .
    We think it may be because we took an egg to put in the incubator over the weekend (so we didn't have to separate her from one that we want to raise inside).
    Any ideas and / or advice?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My Runners - some of them - are unpredictable when it comes to sitting. I have seen a duck sit half a day, a couple days, a couple weeks, on up to three months.

3. ghostco

Jun 4, 2014
    Hmm seems like ducks in general might be unpredictable.
    She was just so constant in her care for them and now suddenly is erratic.

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

When my chickens get a little wondery in the last little stretch of broodiness I just try to give then an extra bit of protein (scrambled eggs) wonder maybe that would help the duck want to sit longer...

5. ghostco

Jun 4, 2014
    Hmm thanks for the advise. I've confined her in the coop area, with food, water and some scrambled eggs (which are coincidently her favourite treats). Hopefully she'll recommit!
    We candled an egg quickly - seems to be development from when we last checked

6. ghostco

Jun 4, 2014
    She's choosing to sit NEXT to the nest in the coop.
    Should I try to save the eggs in an incubator? Is there a way to tell if the eggs are still alive??

7. hennible

Candle and watch for movement then put them in the bator.

1 person likes this.
  8. hennible

Even if you don't see much put them in the bator, eggs are pretty tough they can handle a period of cooling mature embryos in them there's a chance. There's always a chance

1 person likes this.
  9. ghostco

Jun 4, 2014
    Thanks, I'll get the other half to move them when he finishes work. Fingers crossed! It's our first set of potential ducklings so we're really excited / anxious!

10. hennible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by