Help with lame duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wits end gardens, Jun 13, 2019.

1. wits end gardens

wits end gardens In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2019
    HI all,

I am a new duck mom with 6 ducklings. Born May 6, they are now 5 1/2 weeks old. Everything has been going well except two of them are having an issue with a hip that's causing a pigeon-toed walk. One has adapted well over a week's time, but the other has not (she's had it for a few days) and I'm very worried about her.

She is eating, drinking and pooping, but not gaining weight. Her attitude and mobility are both down. :-(

The symptoms are a hip joint that looks like it's outward from the body. Toes are weak and don't spread out. The foot turns in and under the body. Standing and moving is hard with one good leg. :-(

They are eating 18% protein feed with some oatmeal. I add brewer's yeast also. They get greens and dried worms (yum!) for treats. Water is ample.

I have checked legs, feet and hips for injury and see nothing. Since two of them came up with it I'm wondering if it is a diet issue. I increased the brewer's yeast but have not seen an improvement.

If not a diet issue, could it be from their brooder / environment? They spend most of their time in the spa tub that was their initial brooder. It's a large space with a smooth floor and pine shaving bedding. They spend time outdoors in a pen some days and love it.

I would love any help or ideas. My 5 1/2 week experience is well short of what is needed at this point.

Thank you!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    What breed of ducks do you have? I think what you probably need is B-complex. Where are you located?

wits end gardens and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. wits end gardens

Jun 13, 2019
    I have 3 Swedish Blue and 3 Welsh Harlequin. I live in Iowa.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    If you have Tractor Supply go there and in the cattle section get the b-complex liquid. Give 1 ml over something they will eat right up like meal worms. I wouldn't put it in the water because they waste so much of that. You want them to get the full dose. The bottle looks like these which are the same thing, they just changed the label. It says injectable but you won't be doing that. This should fix them up in a week or so. IMG_0251.JPG

wits end gardens and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. wits end gardens

Jun 13, 2019
    I'll find it this morning and get them on it.

I can't thank you enough! Here's to Nils (the Swedish Blue) and Caitrin (Welsh Harlequin) walking like normal soon.

quackiemama and DuckyDonna like this.
  6. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Great! Keep us posted and put up some pictures of your gang! Keep giving them the B until they are all fixed up!

quackiemama and wits end gardens like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Do they get to go outside. Pine shavings on a smooth surface can still be very slippery. A towel of the rubber shelf stuff can really help under the shaving can be wash and reused.

And please get the liquid Bcomplex @DuckyDonna Rec it has worked wonders in ducklings. Lots of exercise like swimming is good too. Give them a safe way in an out of the pool.

quackiemama and wits end gardens like this.
  8. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Good catch! I didn't even notice that!

quackiemama and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. wits end gardens

Jun 13, 2019
    I have the rubber mat stuff so I'll put that in. I was out of town for several days so they didn't get any outside time then.

I'll send a pic of their temporary outside space today.

The plan is to let them free range during the day and roost in their house / pen each night. We have a pond they'll love, but I don't want them on it until they are much, much bigger. We have snapping turtles and although most are small sized, there's a big one we call Nessie that we haven't been able to catch and relocate yet. Once Nessie is moved many miles away, they can free range to the pond.

10. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Snapping turtles will bit their little legs off so I wouldn't let them go in there until they are all gone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: